Which reg set?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Blaylock

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im in the market for a new reg set, and have narrowed it down to either dive rite xt1/xt2 or the sherwood sr2. I have used both, and they both breath incredibly well, just not sure which one to get.

Dive Rite would get my money, a set of RG1200s has served me well for 20 years. Occasionally rebuilt and never a problem, parts for DIY readily available.

Well, that was predictable.

They're both dry sealed.
The piston has higher flow rate if you're deep diving.
The SR2 second can be tuned without removing the hose. And it has a spring micro adjust, which generally allows lighter tuning.
Sherwood is one of the earliest scuba regulator manufacturers in the world. It has lousy marketing, and gets no love.
But for build quality, I'll take Sherwood over DR any day of the week. And there's no innovation in the DR. It's just like several other sealed diaphragms out there, right down to the HP seat. I guess that makes for easy servicing with aftermarket parts. And it has a replaceable orifice, which is also to its credit. But the SR2 has more flow than a Scubapro Mk25.
If you trust your local dive shop for service, I'd get the Sherwood. But both will be just fine.

Well, that was predictable.
They're both dry sealed.
The piston has higher flow rate if you're deep diving.
The SR2 second can be tuned with removing the hose. And it has a sorting micro adjust, which generally allows lighter tuning.
Sherwood is one of the earliest scuba regulator manufacturers in the world. It has lousy marketing, and gets no love.
But for build quality, I'll take Sherwood over DR any day of the week. And there's no innovation in the DR. It's just like several other sealed diaphragms out there, right down to the HP seat. I guess that makes for easy servicing with aftermarket parts. And it has a replaceable orifice, which is also to its credit. But the SR2 has more flow than a Scubapro Mk25.
If you trust your local dive shop for service, I'd get the Sherwood. But both will be just fine.
Sherwoods are quite good, my first dive was with a Brut back in 1990, and i have seen bruts and oasis from that time still going.
The newer models seens to be quite good.

BUT i would go the DR route because of service going easier.

That said what you sayed is pretty real, i do think Sherwoods are great, although a little out fashioned these days.

Anyway, there are lots of good choices over there.

Im in the market for a new reg set, and have narrowed it down to either dive rite xt1/xt2 or the sherwood sr2. I have used both, and they both breath incredibly well, just not sure which one to get.

Be aware that you may have issues getting the DR set unless your dive shop has them in stock already. DGX’s website shows all the DR reg sets as on order. They’re made overseas (Taiwan?) so
I’m sure the massive shipping delays/congestion have a lot to do with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom