Which rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nwcid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know I asked a similar question a while back. I have been doing tons of research, most of which still has me totally overwhelmed. I know that most people that own brand X think best. I am trying to find a way to decide between 2 brands and probably 4 units. I am hoping to get units and get trained in the next 12 months.

First off my GF is my dive buddy so we are doing this together which means double the cost of everything. So getting the same unit makes the most sense to me. I know at some point we will be diving with others, but don't know who they are yet so I can not say what units they have. From what I have read/seen the Meg and rEvo are the 2 most popular units followed by Kiss. Of the people I "know", though the internet most dive Megs. When we did the rebreather demo day rEvos were the most common there.

Our main goal at this point is to get some more bottom time and get to some of the wrecks in our area. It seems like many of the things we want to see sit between 150'-200'. One of my major goals is to go to Bikini Atoll in 5 years. We do a bit of air travel so having a unit that is reasonably able to travel would be nice. Right now we do not have plans of going deeper but as we do more diving that could change if we find things worth seeing.

I keep going back and forth between the Meg and rEvo and not sure how to decide. Maybe it just comes down to preference. If it was something that cost even a couple thousand dollars that would be one thing. Setting both of us up with training and units is going to run at least $20,000 so it is a major thing to me.

I am not sure of any negatives to either unit. I know it often comes down to OTS or back mount but I don't think either are a deal maker or breaker for me based on all I have read.

Positive for the Meg is the company is local. They have a great reputation. I can get training right from the owner (big plus). Very modular. Easy to work on.

Positive for the rEvo. Again great reputation, they have a good local instructor, the dual scrubber (I hear is a plus but don't know enough), Easy to work on.

With the Meg I am either looking at a Standard or a Pathfinder. While the Pathfinder looks like it would be nice on the budget and fit most of our diving needs I worry about if we decide we want to start going beyond that ~200' depth.

With the rEvo the Mico seems best, especially with travel in mind. There are lots of used Mini's on the market though too.

That brings up my next, and hopefully last thought in here, buying used. Knowing very little about something makes it really hard to buy used. I am sure there are all kinds of great deals out there on both units but I have no clue what to look for. I am guessing the "base units" (can, loop, lungs, ext) are all the same but what is different is the electronics. I would hate to buy a "good deal" used unit only to find out it would cost so much to "get it up to spec" that I could have got a new one.

Hope that is not too random. I am also posting this on RBW so I might see some of the same posters there too.

First off, let me tell you that i own and dive a rEvo. Am I biased? Of course I am!

Right now the Meg would be my second choice if i were to do it all over again. I would still get a rEvo though.

Here is why I went the way I did. I absolutely love the Shearwater computers and they are stock on the rEvo. The speed and ease of both assembly and post dive maintainance. The fact that the electronics can be user replaced without sending the head into the factory for service. Dual scrubbers are great for sorb economy. Paul never stops innovating and improving his products. Slimmer profile for penetrating. No batteries in the breathing loop.

Don't get me wrong, there are things that I do not like about the rEvo also. I think the ADV is a crappy design and it is very tricky to get adjusted just right. It is almost impossible to clear the loop if a flood happens (most back mounted lung units are like this). Not crazy about the DSV either and have replaced mine with one off a Meg. Dreams should be retired and Shearwater HUDs used.

Either way that you go will be a fine choice. Get the training and then do the dives. You will never be able to know all of your personal preferences until you have some time on a rebreather to make the decisions. The rEvo is the 3rd one for me so far and who knows what the future holds?

I just went for a rEvo after debating between the Meg and it for a while. I don't think I'll regret the choice, even if I wind up getting a meg a few years down the road when I'm looking at diving wrecks another 100' or 200' deeper than I am now.

A major factor for me is where each unit is in terms of electronics development. The Shearwater CANbus system on the rEvo is available now, while ISC has made no commitment to get ISCAN into the meg rather than just on their less capable Pathfinder. OTOH, if you're looking at diving stuff between 150-200' as your target...the Pathfinder might be perfect for you.

I will take a risk at saying that AP is the most common rebreather. That being said, I would not own one.

I'm on a used rEvo. No regrets at all about buying it used.

For me, the choice came down to absolutely wanting back mount counter lungs. Ever since I started diving, I wanted a completely clear chest area. That thought process was the driving force in my choice.

Of the rear mount units, rEvo was the only choice for me. I have dove shearwater products deep for years and having shearwater come stock on rEvo was a huge plus.

I managed to stumble into a mini RMS unit for 7k. I think it was a steal. Some folks may disagree, but RMS is absolutely incredible. Even if you don't put a whole lot of stock in it, it's very nice to see the scrubber times drop in real time as you are diving.

Another huge point was the rEvo has 5 cells. You can have one or two go wonky on the dive boat and still have a completely safe dive. There are plenty of stories out there of rEvo divers who have repositioned cells on the dive boat to save their trip.

I've got 100 dives on mine now and have had to replace one exhaust loop hose due to a pinhole. I have also just replaced the inhale mushroom valve due to a failed stereo check.

In defense of the Meg, I did absolutely no research on it as I was not looking for front counter lungs.

Josh and Laura are both on Meg's up your way. Have you talked with them yet? Greg Is on a rEvo up your way as well. He is good for advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it looks like on big plus I missed on the rEvo is the electronics.

Dr I see why you got yours. If it was about 6 months from now I would have fought you for it.

Pen, I was not saying what the most common RB was, but what I see here. I have talked to both Laura and Greg in the past, I am not sure who Josh is. I did email Larua about it again a week ago but have not hear back, but I know she is very busy. I also emailed 2 others Meg divers I know but only heard back from one. I will hit Greg up again too.

It is hard to beat going used with some of the prices I have seen. It is the "what I don't know" that holds me back. I am asking questions here and RBW so I can get as much information as possible to try and make the best choices.

Talk to Mel Clark. She'll be able to show you almost every rebreather there is, and she can train you on any one of them too.

-Adrian

Talk to Mel Clark. She'll be able to show you almost every rebreather there is, and she can train you on any one of them too.

-Adrian

We did a "demo day" with her this fall. If we go rEvo it will be with her. If we go Meg it will be with Leon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom