Which ports for air Integration and backup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thomasj1107

Contributor
Reaction score
For those with air integration… I have 2 HP ports on reg and 5 LP. If primary 2nd and my air integration transmitter are on tbe 2 HPs, where can I attach a backup SPG? Will those work on a LP port?

Pressure gauges - whether hoseless or hose need to go on the HP port.
So your transmitter would go into one HP port and your SPG into the second HP port.

Your primary second stage regulator would go into one of the LP ports.

If primary 2nd and my air integration transmitter are on tbe 2 HPs

Don't take this personally but if you don't know what you are doing, find a technician or somebody else with experience to do the connections for you.

At any rate, the primary 2nd is NEVER connected to the HP port, it won't fit anyways. The Primary second, or ANY LP device including BC hose, second stage, drysuit, etc. are always connected to the LP ports. The ONLY hose that can/should be connected to a HP port is a HP gauge hose or a dive computer transmitter (per mfg. requirements). Don't mix them. The threads in the LP port are very different from the threads on the HP port in modern regulators so LP hose won't fit into a HP port and vice versa, don't try to force it.

For those with air integration… I have 2 HP ports on reg and 5 LP. If primary 2nd and my air integration transmitter are on tbe 2 HPs, where can I attach a backup SPG? Will those work on a LP port?

As mentioned in the post above, your primary 2nd stage connects to a low pressure port, as does your back up 2nd stage and the inflator hose for your BC.

The two HP ports are for attaching an SPG and/or a wireless transmitter for an air integrated computer.

-Z

Yeah, as mentioned, that won't work. Pressure gauges (SPG or Transmitter) must go on HP ports. The LP ports are for breathing and inflating apart from an IP gauge which is used for servicing.

The good news is that the devices designed for high pressure will not fit on the LP ports, and vice versa. The ports are sized differently, so you can't mix it up.

If you must take a transmitter and SPG, I'd recommend putting the transmitter on the right port and SPG on the left. SPG on the left is more standard. AI computer on right wrist (same side as transmitter). The manufacturers usually recommend the same side.

The good news is that the devices designed for high pressure will not fit on the LP ports, and vice versa. The ports are sized differently, so you can't mix it up.

I ran into a situation once where the ports on the first stage weren't standard, and I needed an adapter on on the HP port to fit an LP hose. Or maybe it was the other way around. Point being it's not always foolproof based on the thread sizes.

Edit- I wrote this wrong, see below.

I ran into a situation once where the ports on the first stage weren't standard, and I needed an adapter on on the HP port to fit an LP hose. Or maybe it was the other way around. Point being it's not always foolproof based on the thread sizes.
Hope your LP hose didn’t explode when you opened the tank.

What is so difficult not to mix HP and LP?

there once where first stages with different sizes for the primary second stage ( Mares and Apeks). But this was a third size and not mixable with HP and normal LP. For these connections you could have adapters to fix normal LP

Hope your LP hose didn’t explode when you opened the tank.
Oops I meant to say I needed an adaptor to fit a standard HP hose into the non standard HP adapter in the first stage, or maybe it was a standard LP hose that didn't fit the LP port.

Very good primer: Buying Scuba Diving Hoses
1650562975646.png

Site also has very good info on O-rings: Scuba Diving O-Rings
1650563892369.png

Back
Top Bottom