Which pin wrench to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Referring to this tool: pin_spanner_wrench.jpg

Some brands of first stages require this tool for dis/re-assembly.

May I know what is the common pin sizes I should get?

Thanks.

For different firsts you might want different pin sizes, but for the moment the pin spanner which covers most of the brands and application is the XS Scuba Spanner Wrench TL135.

Pin height is 0,15", pin diameter is 0,07". Adjustable range is 0,25" to 2,5"

It's also the cheapest I found and use with 6,50 US$ Dealer Price.

Good luck......:)

that is a face spanner and I'm unsure of any first stages that require it. Some inflator mechanisms need them for the big flanges on the wing, and some second stages recommend them for the covers, but the pin spanners for the first stages aren't face spanners.

Amazon.com : Scuba Choice Scuba Diving Small Pin Adjustable Spanner Wrench : Diving Equipment : Sports & Outdoors

I'd just grab that one and you'll be good. The parts that need this should NOT be under that much torque, just enough to seat them, so don't crank them down.

Would be probably quite interesting to see you loosen the seat retainer of a MK7/9/10/MK5, the D400 cap or retainer inlet and lots of other applications with a spanner wrench............:)

ahh, right, forgot about the hp seat retainers in those regs. more often the question is about removing the environmental seals and the adjusting caps on the diaphragm regs, a la Apeks/Dive Rite/Hog etc which is why I recommended that one.

Just ran into an issue in a reg class this weekend. I use and recommend the scubatools spanners. One student had a reg that was leaking at one time. This was before he knew about anything related to servicing regs. He was in cave country at the time and took the reg to a shop he did not name. Asked if they could look at it. They said sure. Got the leak mostly stopped. By tightening the crap out of the envirocap and thus the diaphragm retainer at the same time. We did manage to get it off. With the right size spanner. Not however without gouging the brass pinhole. Luckily on my classroom reg I had another new cap and silicone disc. Now his old one is on the classroom reg. I still have to order another disc for his other reg. Thanks to the same shop putting the disc and cap on while the reg was not pressurized. So when he did (and has been) pressurizing it the disc has been deformed and not sealing.
If someone can't get the proper size make sure that you are not going to need it. Keep those caps hand tight and clean. The diaphragm retainers only need to be snugged up with the spanner, not cranked down on.

that is a face spanner and I'm unsure of any first stages that require it. Some inflator mechanisms need them for the big flanges on the wing, and some second stages recommend them for the covers, but the pin spanners for the first stages aren't face spanners.

Amazon.com : Scuba Choice Scuba Diving Small Pin Adjustable Spanner Wrench : Diving Equipment : Sports & Outdoors

I'd just grab that one and you'll be good. The parts that need this should NOT be under that much torque, just enough to seat them, so don't crank them down.

I've worked on a few first stages during my course that needed these. I can't recall the exact models but I think they were used on the Mares clones of the SP MK2s.

I know for sure that some of the Cressi first stages need these as well, particularly the MC9.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom