which one? mk17 or mk25 (cold water)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fidelinho

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,
after some "research" and getting confused with contradictory information i decide to ask the experts. (also sorry if my english is not perfect,

I'm looking for a first stage (second stagee is decided) and I doubt between mk17 and mk25.
One is membrane and another piston, I had the impression (read somewhere) that membrane was better for cold water. But my LDS laught when I mentioned it, telling me that piston (and not isolated chamber) was better.
In any case, he told me that both are good for cold water and is not pushing for one or the other.

I dive in the Europeans lakes (currently aroud 4C or 40F) and plan to dive some ice (probably next winter) I will also dive in warmer waters during holidayss, but those are short

I'm not only looking for some advice, but if someone can provide clarification about the membrane/piston and closed chambre (links literature ..) I'd be grateful .
thanks

The environmentally sealed chamber on the MK17 will be better for ice diving. If your LDS said otherwise they do not know their own product line.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Diaphragm is hands down the winner when it comes to cold water.

Every diver who understands first stage design has argued this point. The answers vary depending on the individual, the extremes of the environment, and the particular product from years gone by.

In general terms, the diaphragm (MK17) is designed for ice, extreme cold conditions; however, the MK25 is also used in cold water conditions.

I got an mk17 to handle the conditions you mention, and ice diving is also on my to-do (at least once) list. While I would prefer not to dive water that cold too often (not until I get a drysuit anyway), I want my gear to be able to handle whatever water I want to jump into.

Perhaps your LDS told you the piston is better but isn't pushing one over the other because he sells the mk25 (piston) for a higher price than the mk17?

Hi, thanks for all comments. In this case My LDS is not pushing for any , probably he is convinced. we were talking about options and Cold dives (as mentioned, currently water temp is around 40F) and he mentioned that. He told me to think, investigate/check and so on. Of course, he also mentioned the price difference. But i will not decide bases on price

Have you tried the MK19? - you might get hold of it if you live in Europe. Same as the great MK17 but with a swivel turret for the LP ports like the MK25 has. I usually use it for cold (42F) water and once for ice diving without any problems or freeflow. If not, go with the MK17.

Have you tried the MK19? - you might get hold of it if you live in Europe. Same as the great MK17 but with a swivel turret for the LP ports like the MK25 has. I usually use it for cold (42F) water and once for ice diving without any problems or freeflow. If not, go with the MK17.

MK17 will be, but I have to check if I find the MK19, still have some time to search

Back
Top Bottom