Which Liveaboard Route to choose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSC-uba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In the midst of all the trips being cancelled, I'm looking ahead at a liveaboard in the Philippines between March and early May next year (I really hope things are somewhat back to normal by then...)

Tubbataha is a must, but all the trips there are only 6-7 days, and I'm looking for something in the 10-day range. As such, I'm looking at some of the trips re-positioning trips that are longer.

I'm currently considering the new Philippines Aggressor and the Solitude-One. Both have different routes. I have a decent amount of detail on the Aggressor route, but don't know too much about the Solitude One route, so if anyone knows more, that would be incredibly helpful.

The Aggressor starts out in Cebu, spends 1 day at each of Mactan, Cabilao, Balicasag, and Siquijor, 2 days at Apo Island, 1 day at Cagayanillo, and finally 3 days in Tubbataha. While I like the idea of some diversity, I'm not sure 3-days at Tubbataha is enough, although I'm guessing that diving in Cagayanillo is quite similar....

Solitude-One starts in Surigao and ends up at Puerto Princesa. I only know that it spends time in Southern Leyte and Tubbataha but not how long or if there are any additional stops in between.

I'm a little more biased towards big fish vs. muck, but variety and overall good diving is more of a factor...
Any input from anyone who has dived these places or knows more about the Solitude-One route is enormously appreciated.

Stay healthy everyone!

Just concentrate on Tubbattaha.
The only interesting point on Aggressor's schedule is Cagayancillo(never been). You can do the rest after the LoB.
As for Solitude-one, too much motoring from Surigao via Southern Leyte to Tubbataha. The diving in Surigao is very ordinary and you need another flight to get over there.
Southern Leyte is very good.

3 days in Tubs is not enough. Repositioning is usually at end or beginning of season and therefore subject to weather issues which could negatively impact your experience at Tubs. You are better off doing a dedicated 6-7 day at Tubs and doing a separate safari or something in the Visayas (7 day) and/or between El Nido to Coron. (4 days)

I am going to wait and see for LOB Tubbataha as we certainly do not know which operations will still be viable next year.

I found that the other diving in Philippines paled in comparison to Tubbataha and I am only a "big fish" kind of diver (for the record I have also dived in Ticao, Malapascua and Coron) so like the posters above, I would strongly recommend you do a full LOB to Tubbataha. Mid-April to mid-May is best as it is in the middle of the short season and gives you the best chance of not having weather-related mishaps in getting out or staying in Tubba. The LOBs are sitting off mooring lines and there isn't any real shelter to speak of. The reefs were really healthy, diverse - beautiful reef activity, huge schools of fish, tons of sharks and 1 or 2 whales sharks hanging around on most dives. You can always look into doing some land-based diving somewhere else for the remainder of your trip (though I'd recommend starting with that as it could be disappointing to do after Tubba) - many of the other worthy sites are completely accessible via land-based options. Its a bit of a haul to get to but Monad Shoal in Malapascua is quite fantastic for the thresher sharks - I found the rest of the diving mostly meh but the vibe on the island is fantastic and worth spending a few relaxing days.

I found that the other diving in Philippines paled in comparison to Tubbataha and I am only a "big fish" kind of diver .

I've seen thresher sharks in Moalboal under the sardine run as well as whale sharks. Eagle rays are there but usually at 50m so not where most divers get to. Bohol has some really good diving as well. I guess as you said depends what you are after. I'm looking at Leyte and Bohol at end of year if things return to normal by then.

So, any opinions on a Malapascua & Visayas itinerary?
How much time do you have?
Assuming you are not interested in Southern Leyte.
Malapascua is very isolated.
A quick round trip in Visayas: Starting and terminating in Cebu City:
Moaboal, Dumaguete and Bohol. All these three places are connected and readily accessible by public transport with NO back tracking.
From Dumaguete you can branch off to Apo and Siquijor.

How much time do you have?
Assuming you are not interested in Southern Leyte.
Malapascua is very isolated.
A quick round trip in Visayas: Starting and terminating in Cebu City:
Moaboal, Dumaguete and Bohol. All these three places are connected and readily accessible by public transport with NO back tracking.
From Dumaguete you can branch off to Apo and Siquijor.

We're looking at an 11d 10n trip on the Siren, their Malapascua & Visayas itinerary...

Will I be disappointed? I don't really know that much about Philipinnes scuba, was going off the recommendations of a friend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom