Which liveaboard on Explorer Ventures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bethie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking at Turks & Caicos and the St Martin/Saba/St Kitts trips, both now almost half price.
This will be my first live aboard dive trip, and really have not seen much about either of these trips. Anyone have experience or preference? And am I in the correct forum?

I have been on both, both were good experiences. T&C dives are rarely shallower than 60 ft, at the top of the walls they dive. The boat is a yacht, very nice.

Saba was okay, St Kitts was exceptional. (If you like just exploring a small patch for an extended period and finding all the little stuff before moving over a few feet and starting again.) That boat was good, but a little more cramped than the other.

I have been on both, both were good experiences. T&C dives are rarely shallower than 60 ft, at the top of the walls they dive. The boat is a yacht, very nice.

Saba was okay, St Kitts was exceptional. (If you like just exploring a small patch for an extended period and finding all the little stuff before moving over a few feet and starting again.) That boat was good, but a little more cramped than the other.
Which would you choose as a first liveaboard? (I am an experienced diver)

I enjoyed the T&C Explorer. If this is your first liveaboard, be prepared for very small rooms.

I was fortunate to end up with a room to myself and still, it was small but it was also on the main floor in the front. I did like that.

Saba St Kitts for price, T&C for luxury. Also, if you do the itinerary that finishes in St Kitts you can explore the island a bit, depending on flights. A couple of shore excursion opportunities on that trip if you are willing to miss a dive, but not on T&C.

Also, T&C a little easier on water entry. The other was kind of a high giant stride off the side.

I dove on the Aggressor in T & C. They hit most of the same spots, we even saw them a time or two.

Loved it, sharks on almost every dive, turtles most dives, stingrays, schools of jacks, giant grouper and tons of small stuff as well. Weather is pretty stable year round (high 70's, low 80's, very low rainfall), but you are looking at hurricane season, so definitely opt for trip insurance.

I have heard good things about the Saba/St. Kitts route as well- I don't think you can make a bad choice here! We are going to Utah/Arizona in early october, otherwise I would jump on one of these deals.

Saba St Kitts for price, T&C for luxury. Also, if you do the itinerary that finishes in St Kitts you can explore the island a bit, depending on flights. A couple of shore excursion opportunities on that trip if you are willing to miss a dive, but not on T&C.

Also, T&C a little easier on water entry. The other was kind of a high giant stride off the side.

I didn't find any part of the T&C Explorer "luxury". Perhaps that is because I've had the very good fortune to have been aboard some more luxurious liveaboards beforehand?

Luxury may be a little strong, but it is a larger nicer boat than the other, rooms less cramped. But still small when two are in them.

Luxury may be a little strong, but it is a larger nicer boat than the other, rooms less cramped. But still small when two are in them.
I'm sure it will all seem like luxury to me! I generally shore dive in Bonaire, and I am a pretty small person. Thanks for the replies, I wish I could try both.

We did the Caribbean Explorer years ago and it was a great trip, but unless it has been remodeled since then, the boat was a little cramped and tired but we had a lot of fun. We flew to St. Martin and crossed to St. Kitts. We had some bad weather at St. Kitts and I got very seasick during the crossing. The diving at St. Kitts wasn't great but it may have been due to the poor vis from the weather.

The weather turned great and we crossed over to Saba and did most of our diving there. It was lovely Caribbean reef diving around the sea mounts and we enjoyed it. We also had the opportunity to do some land excursions on St. Martin, St. Kitts, and Saba, during that trip and that was fun.

Our cabin on the Caribbean Explorer was small and we had an ensuite toilet (and sink?) but we had to share the shower room with other guests. Again I don't know what the current situation is for cabins and accommodations. I remember that the food was good and plentiful and the dive staff and crew were great.

We have done 2 LOB trips to the Turks and Caicos, a Peter Hughes boat long ago and the Aggressor more recently, but we saw the T&C Explorer boat out on the reefs during the more recent Aggressor trip. It is a very large boat and it looked nice and roomy. The only negative that I've read about it is that the boat has a tendency to swing at anchor so if you miss it when trying to reboard you should just wait until it swings back toward you. Again I have never been on the boat so I can't comment - but I wouldn't hesitate to take another Explorer trip.

The diving in the T&Cs is better than Saba and St. Kitts in my opinion but the reefs start a little deeper, usually the top of the wall is about 60 feet. You will see a lot of big stuff in the T&Cs including sharks and rays. The corals aren't as nice as some other areas of the Caribbean IMO but they are still very nice walls.

Both of those destinations are good LOB trips because they are not easy places to visit. You can fly to St. Martin easy enough but then you would need to fly or ferry to St. Kitts and Saba to dive those islands.

It's easy to fly to Provo in the T&Cs, but the best diving are on longish boat trips from Provo so you can spend much of the day in boats to do some dives. With a LOB you can spend most of the trip around French Caye and West Caicos and enjoy the better sites at your convenience. We spent some time on land in Provo before boarding and Grace Bay Beach is gorgeous and we had fun, but it is an expensive destination.

Both of those regions were hit by hurricanes in 2017 and I haven't visited either since then so I don't know much about the recovery, but it sounds like they are making good progress.

There may be a lot of storms in the Caribbean in September - or it may be sunny and perfect! The water will be warm anyway and that is especially important for the T&Cs (IMO) because the water gets cold in that area of the Atlantic in the winter and spring. You should plan to buy trip insurance and DAN diving insurance, especially if you will traveling in the Caribbean in the fall.

I think that they would both be great trips at an excellent price and I would be happy with either, but I think you will get a nicer boat and better diving (at a higher price) in the T&Cs. Good luck with your decision!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom