Which light head for UWLD Can light?

Which model

• LD35

• LD26

• LD15

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Cobra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have decided on UWLD for my primary light due to the quality, price, cap securement, charging port, etc etc.

However I CANNOT decide in which head I want. I know I can always purchase a separate head after the fact, but I would prefer to hit the nail on the head up front. I would prefer input from those who have used these lights due to output variances across different brands.

The LD35 is 3500 lumens on high, 2000 medium, and 800 low with an 8.2° beam

The LD26 is 2600, 1100, and 800 with 8.2° beam

And the LD15 is 1500, 1100, 800 with 6° beam.

I was leaning towards the LD35 as the 8° beam appeals more to me, and it would almost me an easy decision is the medium setting way 1500 lumens. I'm just nervous 2000 will be to high.

Application is east coast wreck diving, and eventually Florida caves.

LD35. I actually think the 8 degree beam is a little too wide. My preference would be to have the smaller beam angle of the LD15 with the output of the LD35.

You can always dim a light, but if you need more and you don’t have it available that’s lame. In fact, in order to make up for the larger beam angle in turbid water, I turn my LD35 down to compensate for the increased “backscatter.”

LD35 with the big van is my vote.

LD35. I actually think the 8 degree beam is a little too wide. My preference would be to have the smaller beam angle of the LD15 with the output of the LD35.

I have been so back and fourth between the 15 and 35 because of this exact reason, tighter beam angle vs output - a compromise would be nice.

Call the manufacturer. I found them very helpful when I contacted them regarding a diff issue.

I have been so back and fourth between the 15 and 35 because of this exact reason, tighter beam angle vs output - a compromise would be nice.

I had both. I use the LD35 now.... Like @JohnnyC it regularly gets turned down in murky water, but you can't turn a light up.
What is important to remember. Visibility is fixed, it matters not how many lumens, or how tight the beam angle. Visibility that is restricted by particulate has a fixed maximum distance. With the LD35, you have enough lumen to completely strobe a cave even in 0 viz. Sure you can't signal, but you can't do that with a laser pointer either....

@Bobby is immensely helpful, and I highly recommend you contact him if you are having concerns

I have three primary lights. Two are 1K lumens, and one is the UWLD LD35. Unless there's some reason to leave it home the LD35 is what I use all the time. The difference between 1K and 3.5K is night and day. A 1K light shows me where I'm going in the compartment of a wreck. The LD35 shows me the whole compartment most of the time. Unless it's really murky, I rarely turn it down. Particulates cause light attenuation in both directions. A brighter light will often increase how far you can see. Like driving in fog at night, though, sometimes less light works better.

Back
Top Bottom