Which is the best Channel Island...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trymixdiver

Reaction score
Ok after getting back from my first santa Cruz island dive i was wondering which Island is the best for diving.

San Miguel ?

I would think the above is better due to it being the most remote, am i wrong ?

Are there any specific sites on the islands i dont want to miss out on ?

Andy

Don't know about the North, but I've had an amazing time in San Clemente. I dove Fish Hook, among others, that was featured in CDN a month or two ago. Great walls, excellent viz, lots of fish.

I agree -- when you can get there. Santa Barbara Island can be fun with the seals, but so it seems like everytime I go out there, conditions are not good. I used to dive the northern Channel Islands more often than I do now. These days, it is mainly around Catalina; there is always a lot to see there, and it is easier to get to the boats from here.

KM

Conditions meaning vis or sea state ?

I posted a trip report on Santa Cruz, it was rough going and coming but we found a very calm spot to dive with great vis. 30-50' vis.

The Capt even said they were 400 yards south a week ago and had 80' vis. They were saying how they anchored in 50' of water and could see the bottom EZ.

So as far as the diving went it was great even though the trip out and back was quite rough. Little price to pay for good diving i think.

Andy

and specifically at Santa Barbara Island. I do like diving with the seals, but the ride out there can be rough and there isn't much room to hide. Maybe the seas just sense my presence.

I've had some good dives around Santa Cruz and Anacapa, too. If I go out of Ventura or other ports up there, it's a longer drive for me than San Pedro/Long Beach.

While i was disapointed in the boat ride being as rough as it was, the diving was great. The drive is crappy though, 3 hrs or close to it to Oxnard.

Andy

the one you're diving today! I love them all (at least the six I've been to), each for different reasons.

Of course Catalina is home so the living (er, diving) is easy. The cold water elements at San Miguel are an awesome contrast to our warmer water species. Clemente is awesome if the current isn't "flying" (trying to swim with my video equipment is tough for an old geezer like me). Anacapa is sweet.

Saw my first black sea bass of the season today at Hen Rock.

Dr. Bill

Keep padding Dr. Bill.... you'll hit 100 soon and be legit.

:D

K

Mo2vation-

And just how would that post qualify as padding? It responded to the question. At least I'm not like some here who so obviously pad with 1-2 liners in fluff threads!!

Dr. Bill

Just some fun. :poking:

Its all good.

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom