Which is a Better Tank, PST or Faber?

Which is a better HP tank PST or Faber?

• Which has a better safety record PST or Faber?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Which tank has stood the test, PST or Faber?

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonscubas

Contributor
Reaction score
Which is better a PST or a Faber? I own an PST HP100, I went to my LDS, to buy another one. All they had were Fabers, I brought my tank in because they said that all HP 100 tanks were the same size and dimensions. But when I compared the two side by side, the PST was much shorter and smaller in diameter than the Faber.

Additionally, the Faber did not have any air in it because obviously new. Mine had 1100 PSI left in it and when comparing the weight by picking it up the PST was much lighter to boot.

I like PST but my question is: does the Faber have more metal in it to contain the pressure? It's considerably heavier, which I do not like if I had to do my normal beach dives, and when I considered going to doubles anway, the weight would be offset if I put the two tanks together.

So overall what are the differences and which is the proven tank; PST or Faber, they both seem good, difference is size and weight.

I have posted this website numerous times in answer to various tank questions. It provides much better information and more answers than I possibly could. If you read it thoroughly I am sure it will answer most of the questions you have. I found the chart at the very bottom particularily helpful. Hope it is of some help to you.

Tank Specs

Dive often, but dive safe

John

Originally posted by jonscubas
Which is better a PST or a Faber?

Having just bought a couple of steel tanks a few weeks ago I went through this over the last couple of months. I could not get a consistent answer out of all the people I talked to. After looking around a lot I came to the conclusion, based on the weight of opinion, that PST was probably better.

Several shops told me that Fabers had external rusting problems related to their boots. One shop said this was just one batch of tanks another said it was more common. Users seemed to like whatever they had bought. The PST boot looked to me to be a much better draining one than I saw on the OMS/Fabers. Lots of people who twin them remove the boots though.

The PST tank is the only one which is hot dip galvanized. This requires it to go through a non-standard hydro test that the tester must be familiar with but it seems to give them better resistance to rust. GUE seems to like them. The Fabers tend to come with some kind of zinc containing primer paint.

I finally ended up buying 2 LP PSTs as I dive singles and leave the boots on. I don't however think that Fabers are junk and need to be avoided. I was finally left with the impression that the difference was one of good vs slightly better. You can get the weight/size specs at several different sites such as the one mentioned by Cave Diver or

http://www.pstscuba.com/
http://www.omsdive.com/cyl_spec.html
http://www.divefaber.com/

I have one of each -- PST 104 and an OMS/Faber 98.

If I had it to do again, I'd stick with PST due to the more durable exterior finish as mentioned above. The Faber tank I have looks nicer, with it's nice, smotth "painted" finish. On the other hand, it is much more susceptible to scratches and nicks.

OMS had a real problem with some of these tanks with "pitting" occuring on the bottom. I take the boots off both of my tanks after every dive, rinse and let them fully dry before putting the boots back on. I've actually thought of drilling more holes in my OMS boot to help with drainage....haven't gotten around to it yet.

My $0.02.

I prefer PST, for the hot dip galvanizing primarily. Whatever steel tank you get, lose the boots, they're the major source of corrosion on the exterior. Do you really need to be able to stand your tanks up and walk away from them?

Tom

I own both PST and Faber(OMS) tanks. Here's my take... For buoyancy characteristics, weight/capacity/size, I prefer the Faber. But... that hot dipped zinc is the only way to go for an exterior finish. You wouldn't recognize my Fabers as OMS's because after I discovered rust under the paint I stripped 'em and repainted 'em with clear epoxy so I can keep an eye on the surface. (I should note here that of the eight OMS's owned by me and my regular dive buddies, only one has had the rust problem).
What will I buy when I buy my next steel tank? PST.
Rick

I've thought about losing the boots, but I have to admit I like them for covenience sake.

- A full 104 is heavy enough, but to have to reach down to ground level every time I pick it up/put it down does not help my back.

- It's nice to have an upright tank when mounting my BC.

- It can make for easier dry land donning, depending on how you don it.

- The charter boats I use have simple benches with bungees -- no tank holders. Doubles with no boots are ok. Singles with no boots might by somewhat prone to move around.

- Less prone to exterior scratches since you CAN leave them upright

- They come off quickly and easily

- Since I take them off and rinse/dry tank and boot after every dive trip......corrosion should not be an issue

- Etanglement hazard? Risk seems minimal given the low profile of these boots.

Counter arguments welcomed ;-)

Counter arguments welcomed ;-)

QUICK! Before Andrew or MHK gets a hold of you! If you are looking to decide on the boot issue, just leave them on for your DIRF next week and explain to Andrew why they are there and the benefits. We found all sorts of useful info out from those guys by leaving stuff on. Some they liked, some they didn't...who knows, they may be selling large_diver modified DIR boots on FifthD next!

Originally posted by large_diver

- A full 104 is heavy enough, but to have to reach down to ground level every time I pick it up/put it down does not help my back.
Don't. Squat or deadlift it instead.

Seriously.

I'll leave them on for now......I agree, it will be good to hear what they have to say...I'll present my arguments...we'll see.

Met -- I guess I was exaggerating....with a physical therapist wife, I am constantly reminded of how I *should* lift things and I am usually careful ;-).

Back
Top Bottom