Which hermit and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here are two shots of the same crab. Which one do you like best and why?

ONE

hermit.jpg

TWO

hermit2.jpg

awesome pics, btw

i definetly like the first one better... it's closer, you can see the eyes better, it's
"fuller." you get a sense of being "right there"

i've always loved those powdery blue eyes on hermit crabs

Thanks Andy. These are nicer than those nasty old eels eh? :D

I like the composition of the first one better but the exposure and DOF of the second. Nice you could get some dives in between the storms!

1st one for me. I like the angle, I like the definition, I like the darker image, and I very much like that his eyes, for me, are positioned better - he looks more engaged with you.

Again, a keeper!

justleesa:
What settings did you have?
For number ONE: ISO 64; F 4.0; 1/1000 seconds; supermacro mode; flash - slave set at 5.

For number TWO: all the same with flash set at 6.

The shadow is due to the lens getting in the way of the flash. I tried to compensate by putting the crab in the far right then cropping out the really dark part. In number TWO I tried the flash at 6 to see if that helped but I think it was too much light. Attached is an attempt with macro mode and full internal flash - the lighting is more even but the camera had a hard time focusing on the crab. I have several shots where the sand or shell is in focus but not the crab.

I like the angle of the shot in the first one, but like the focusing better during the 2nd.

Still storming on and off here, got buzzed by a tornadoe last night too :( still under a watch - D'Oh

I gotta say the first one, although I like them both. The second shot is sharper, but I tend to go for the ones with shadows as it brings out the third dimension. No expert here, just another opinion. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Pick the one YOU like since that's what counts.:)

Jet

Cool. #1 has a cleareer subject (the hermit crab). The focus is more on the front & center othe crab with most of his extremities in focus - especially those eyes. #2 had the area of focus to be center and somewhat of the background a bit clearer (the hermit crab's shell). #2 sacrificed the lower areas of the shot to get the shell in focus. Seems like most fiolks like looking at the crab in focus. It appears you have good patience for photography. Something I am striving for....

Back
Top Bottom