which format does the oly 5050 use fat 16 or 32

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could I ask WHY? FAT is the "file allocation table" and only limits how many images on a disk (real or virtual). The limit for FAT16 is 64K (just over 65,000 files), so unless you've got one whopping big memory card, you're not likely to exceed 65,000 imgaes on it.
Are you maybe trying to ask the colour depth (ie 16 bit or 32 bit)?

If your thinking about the 4 Gig Microdrive, It didn't work, I didn't spent a lot of time on it, but it didn't work

no i was asking about the format, its not the amount of images im worried about. By finding out that its a fat 16, i now know that the largest cf card i can put in it is a 2gig. thats why i was asking, and thanks for the info jlyle and all

Ah. And "I" learn a little more about digital cameras. I didn't realize they had cards into the 2G range yet. I'd be nervous shoving 2G worth of images on a single chip. I'm more the type who would travel with a laptop/CD burner and be making 2 CD's in case one got damaged. Or at least one copy on CD with one copy still on the hard drive.

yea unfortunetly fat 16 is limited to 2gb and fat 32 is beyond that. i always try to check that before buying anything that uses a cf card. most of the new products are starting to use fat 32 to accomidate the beyond 2gb cf cards.
oh by the way the 6gb compact flash cards are out(no not microdrives, compact flash type1) but unless you have 7g's laying around oh well, but the 2gb cf are going from the $200 and up range, the high speed 2gb are in the $400 to $600 range just fyi

btw i only wish i had a good laptop, or any laptop for that matter.lol although i dont think i would take a laptop to the beach or on a boat
but remember the limitation to size is fat 16 is only good up to 2gb. beyond that you need fat 32 so its something to keep in mind now when buying cf or any media using devices

I'd just as soon invest in a good portable storage device. Unless I upgrade to a higher resolution camera than my c5050, I can't imagine taking so many pictures at one time that I would fill a 6 gig card.

most people seem to go with either a 256 card or even 512 card and this board perferes the Cf cards over the XD cards for some reason my XD cards never had any trouble with them .

i have been using cf cards for a while and wont buy stuff that doesent support them. The big reason for cf over others is size and price. no other media even compares with cf's storage size. Also cf price smokes other medias usually at a 2 to 1 in other words you can get twice the size of any other media with cf for the same cost.
most other media only goes up to 256 or max 512, cf is already up to 8gig. or if you get microdrives which is a cf format they can be found up to 6gig. That smokes any other media :bounce:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom