Which flash to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jazzcat24

Reaction score
I am a snorkeler, not a diver. I am going to get the housing for either my Olympus D-40 or the C-750. I want to get a flash attachment so I can get better photos. Which flash would you folks recommend for each of these 2 cameras. Keep in mind that I don't need or want to spend tons on a flash. I will probably look for a used one on Ebay or some used scuba gear site. Thanks for your help.

I believe that all Olympus digitals have a pre-flash that doesn't synchronize with standard strobes. The C-5050 allows you to cancel the pre-flash. If the D-40 and C-750 don't have the pre-flash cancellation, you're stuck with using strobes designed specifically for digital cameras that have a pre-flash. That can run you hundreds of dollars. Your choices are Epoque (don't know prices), Sea & Sea YS-25DX ($300-500), Sea & Sea YS-90DX/Auto ($500-700), Ikelites ($$??) and upwards. I rarely see the digital compatible strobes sold on EBay.

When snorkeling, will you freedive down to the level of your subject, or take photos from above? Photos from above don't work very well, and if you look at the tips section of this board you can find some really good suggestions on composition and camera angles.

Happy and safe breathholds for you.

:( Well bummer. I was hopeful that I could get by with less, but no such luck. Oh well! Thanks for the info. I will check into those flashes, but may just go with the camera as is. I am so positively bouyant that I almost fly up when I try to freedive. It is too funny! :D Thus, I can't hold still long enough. I have fun anyway. & thanks to Photoshop Elements, I look like a better photographer!!!

If you're interested, I have an Epoque which is less than 1 year old (15 dives) that I will part from reasonably. I've upgraded to a more expensive Sea and Sea and don't need this unit any longer

It has a fiber optic connection

I am thinking of my snorkeling partner who would not be diving down, but would be using the camera at times. How far would this above type of flash "throw" (for a lack of a better term) the light if she is just floating & shooting from there, or at the most, with extended arms? Would those pics be improved with this flash?
Thanks for the input.

Oh, I just thought of something...if someone has a set up similar to this, perhaps the next time they are out, they could flost & shoot a few shoots of reefs that are 3-15 ft so I could see what it might do. Maybe w/ & w/o the flash on. Is that too much to ask??:confused: If it is, "never mind"! Sorry! :)
Thanks again all!

No strobe flash, whether in camera or external, is going to 'throw' as you put it more than 3-4 ft, optimal distance ia closer to 2-2.5ft. The shallow distances you are talking about, 3-15ft will have the benefit of the sun so a strobe won't be necessary. In fact if the particle matter in the water is heavy, a strobe could actually cause backscatter, depending on how it is aimed.

So if you are only using it at the surface, i wouldn't worry about a strobe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom