Which fins are good for strong currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaxxx

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Which fins for strong currents.
I dive in Indonesia occasionally and quite often there are strong currents at the end of the reef where we hook on. Obviously we have to go against the current at some point.
Which fins are good for strong currents. I have been looking at Mares power plana and Mares X treme fins. Are these any good in currents although I'm not sure if the power plana fins are available in small size. (6 uk shoe size). I'm female so wondering if a heavy find would cause cramp. Any advice apriciated.

https://www.scubaboard.com/co

Technique and leg strength are more important than fins. Cramp generally is a sign of poor finning (bicycling). The Mares Plana range are the universal fin seen all the world over. Hard to fault other than the cost. For strong currents begin streamlined is probably going to make more difference than anything. Dangling kit and being overweighted (so the BC is half inflated to compensate) will increase your surface area and make it much harder to move about.

good trim, equipment config and good finning technique are the first to get sorted, then look at fin. A stronger fin will kick your butt if you can't use it.

Never fall in the trap of looking for a equipment solution to a skill problem

good trim, equipment config and good finning technique are the first to get sorted, then look at fin. A stronger fin will kick your butt if you can't use it.

Never fall in the trap of looking for a equipment solution to a skill problem
What he said.

Heavy fins may be more cramp-inducing than light ones, but it's really about your conditioning and technique. Also, stiffer fins, longer fins... if you can get in the water and do laps in swim fins, that's the best thing for the current.

And watching the fishes: do what they do.

Mares X-treme are very good but not too durable. One of my fins broke in the connecting joint after just 180 dives. I am still diving in them but this fin bends too easily. In my wife's fins case, at the tip of one of her fins the transparent plastic began to separate from colored at about the same time. She 's still using it but there is a cut now about 4" long.

Me and my brother had the same dilemma when we were going to Palau. The divemasters used freediving fins. I got the Hollis "F1 Bat Fins" and he got the Dive Rite XT's. All three should suffice. Cheers!

And watching the fishes: do what they do.
Sure, this is a very good advice. Like, "if you fell out of an airplane, just watch the birds: do what they do."

While hooked to the reef at a cliff at 90', I watched with amazement as the sharks in front of us swam slowly back and forth, hardly moving their fins, like there was no current at all. Yet when we were done and unhooked, the current threw us half a mile away in a minute.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom