Which dive center Malapascua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there,
My husband and I are experienced divers and are both sharkstruck. Early April next year we plan on going to Malapascua for a week specifically to see and experience the Thresher sharks and to photograph them (evidently without strobes). There are so many dive centers there and we have no clue which one to choose. We were thinking of Dive Society maybe as they offer free Nitrox but the most important would be to not have a pile up of divers (and consequently bubbles) at the dive site and to be there early.
Is there a dive shop that leaves earlier than others or that offers trips to the shoal more often than others? Maybe there are other things to consider?
Thanks heaps for all feedback and advice!

Hey Katrien,

Definitely Thresher Shark Divers ... will send you a message an more info on FB

We recently stayed and did our diving with Evolution. Similar to TSD they don’t use the main moorings used by most operators and tend to steer clear of the area most groups go. Would definitely recommend.

Another shout out for Evolution - great bunch of guys and girls, and really invested in making their guests become better divers.

I was on Malapascua in January this year.

I dove with, and stayed at, Shark Tails resort. (formerly Purple snapper)

They have a good boat and the staff and management is good, I had a very good time there, it's one of the places i will get back to.

If you stay there it is low price low standard rooms.

For Malapasqua in general, There are no ATM's on the island, so bring lots of pesos, many shops take PayPal or cards but with a additional cost of 4-10%

Another shout out for Thresher Shark Divers. We were there in early 2016. Our guides were great, the service at the restaurant/bar above the dive shop was excellent as well. We had a package deal with breakfast included and we never left the table hungry.

If I was to go back to Malapascua, I would not hesitate to book with TSD again.

-Z

For Malapasqua in general, There are no ATM's on the island, so bring lots of pesos, many shops take PayPal or cards but with a additional cost of 4-10%

This is true but you do not need to have gobs and gobs of cash as life on the island (to include food at restaurants, bottled water, food at the markets, alcohol, souvenirs, etc) are very inexpensive.

You can budget between $20-$30/day for food and drink and that is a high estimate (unless you are getting trashed drunk every night).

-Z

We loved Sea Explorers and the beautiful sea front rooms at Ocean Vida. It’s a wonderful island , have a great trip x

Wow, thanks so much for all the excellent info! Makes us so much more confident for choosing!
Good to know also that there are no ATM's and high costs for credit card payments. We'll definitely keep that in mind!
More info is certainly still welcome. Thanks heaps in advance!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom