Which digital camera? (non SLR)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've decided to go digital - have a budget of <$1500 roughly (for one or two strobes, housing, camera). I'm looking for opinions on a good setup for U/W. I've been looking at Ikelite for housings and strobes but am not sure on the camera. Want something with >5 megapixal res, manually able to set ISO, shutter speed, aperture, minimal shutter lag, large screen for ease of viewing underwater, raw format would be nice but not necessary - would prefer relatively small physical size. Anybody have any suggestions/opinions?

This is the question all newbies tend to ask first :)
Oh and welcome to scubaboard! Try searching you'll find quite a few threads on this subject. You could also check Alcina's (user/mod) signature. It has a pink link giving some pointers deciding which camera could answer to your needs. Canon has some nice cameras out there. On the other hand oly sp-350 is hardwireable to your strobe.

go to the following sites and check out reviews.

www.dpreview.com - has various digital camera reviews often with pictures taken by various similar range cameras next to one another making comparisons. Also lists all settings for the various makes and models.

www.digideep.com - has various info all on underwater stuff as well as different cameras with user submitted photos taken underwater with the different models.

If you are just wanting a simple point and shoot the things you want, or so I was told include aperture and shutter priority and the possibility to shoot in raw mode for editing afterwards.

Hope that helps

Mate, i recommend to use sp350 cause it has raw , 8mg pixels,large screen and hotshoe for ttl. i have that camera plus ikelite's housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom