Which Computer for SCR and CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life-Is-Good-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok im taking my SCR class next weekend, and do plan to go into CCR next.
My problem is i only see really 3 computer's to choose from here:

1 . Uwatec Aladin Air Z-O2 Hoseless Wrist Computer , and you also need the OXY 2 , so the computer sell's for $900 + another $700 to montier PPO2, so im into it for $1,600. I don't even think it's upgradable to CCR, and can you switch gases underwater for deco stops?

2. HS Explorer , had one last year, great computer, retail is around $1,200

3. Delta VR3 , retail i belive is around $1,200 also for SCR, also i think you need an adapter from Delta P for SCR? cost?

A few questions is i heard the VR3's for a while everyone was ebaying them cause they were so hard to use..... any help here would be appreciated.

Im leaning towards the VR3, did they come out with a VR4 ? I thought i saw one somewhere , but now i can't find it.

I want a computer that will grow with me, using both in SCR and CCR, switchable gases upto 100% O2 underwater for deco, moniter PPO2, and do everything else in between, i know im going to spend around $1,300 for a computer, so i don;t want to buy somthing this year, and sell it in 6 months or a year when i goto CCR and be limited, and loose money.

I know the HS Explorer and VR3 are very well liked, and i been doing a ton of research on the two, any suggestion's? Thank you, as alway's you guy's are very helpfull :wink:

FLTEKDIVER:
Ok im taking my SCR class next weekend, and do plan to go into CCR next.
My problem is i only see really 3 computer's to choose from here:

1 . Uwatec Aladin Air Z-O2 Hoseless Wrist Computer , and you also need the OXY 2 , so the computer sell's for $900 + another $700 to montier PPO2, so im into it for $1,600. I don't even think it's upgradable to CCR, and can you switch gases underwater for deco stops?

2. HS Explorer , had one last year, great computer, retail is around $1,200

3. Delta VR3 , retail i belive is around $1,200 also for SCR, also i think you need an adapter from Delta P for SCR? cost?

A few questions is i heard the VR3's for a while everyone was ebaying them cause they were so hard to use..... any help here would be appreciated.

Im leaning towards the VR3, did they come out with a VR4 ? I thought i saw one somewhere , but now i can't find it.

I want a computer that will grow with me, using both in SCR and CCR, switchable gases upto 100% O2 underwater for deco, moniter PPO2, and do everything else in between, i know im going to spend around $1,300 for a computer, so i don;t want to buy somthing this year, and sell it in 6 months or a year when i goto CCR and be limited, and loose money.

I know the HS Explorer and VR3 are very well liked, and i been doing a ton of research on the two, any suggestion's? Thank you, as alway's you guy's are very helpfull :wink:
I purchased a VR3 with PIN# for SCR use & later purchased the PIN# to unlock the CCR functionality. I use this now with my modified manual constant ppO2 Azimuth. Haven't had any problems with the VR3 so far.......just don't EVER try to remove the ppO2 port ON the computer....i'll leave it at that.

hornetplt:
I purchased a VR3 with PIN# for SCR use & later purchased the PIN# to unlock the CCR functionality. I use this now with my modified manual constant ppO2 Azimuth. Haven't had any problems with the VR3 so far.......just don't EVER try to remove the ppO2 port ON the computer....i'll leave it at that.

Im getting certified in both the Dolphin and the Azimuth, how do you like the Azi?

Do you mind if i ask how much was it to upgrade from SCR to CCR on your VR3 ?

Azimuth in CCR huh,im not asking, lol

FLTEKDIVER:
Im getting certified in both the Dolphin and the Azimuth, how do you like the Azi?

Do you mind if i ask how much was it to upgrade from SCR to CCR on your VR3 ?

Azimuth in CCR huh,im not asking, lol

I am not sure what difference it makes to the computer if it has PO2 monitoring. I understand if it was just a fixed setpoint CCR computer but if it monitors PO2 wouldn't it work equally well with SCR and CCR?

I guess what I'm trying to understand is what is the difference between a CCR VR3 and an SCR VR3

wedivebc:
I am not sure what difference it makes to the computer if it has PO2 monitoring. I understand if it was just a fixed setpoint CCR computer but if it monitors PO2 wouldn't it work equally well with SCR and CCR?

I guess what I'm trying to understand is what is the difference between a CCR VR3 and an SCR VR3

Hornetplt would be able to answere, as he has been down that road, that's why im looking into this now, how much is it usalley to upgrade with the VR3, each time, but with SCR your PPo2 isn't constant, i would imagine it would work like the
Scubapro Air Z with the oxy 2 sensor, but without the sensor? Just have the same features built into the computer? Don't know, great question :wink:

FLTEKDIVER:
Hornetplt would be able to answere, as he has been down that road, that's why im looking into this now, how much is it usalley to upgrade with the VR3, each time, but with SCR your PPo2 isn't constant, i would imagine it would work like the
Scubapro Air Z with the oxy 2 sensor, but without the sensor? Just have the same features built into the computer? Don't know, great question :wink:

The manufacturer told me that the Air Z o2 does not have the ability to plan dives but the normal Air Z does.
To me its a lot of money.
I am told that abyssuk.com have a ppo2 monitor for 320 UK pound. I am just about to contact them.

hornetplt:

Hornetplt Can you tell us what changes you made to the Azi to make it a constant PPO2 unit. If you have drawings perhaps you could fax them to me. If so I will send my number.
Thanks
Terence of Arabia

Terence of Arabia:
The manufacturer told me that the Air Z o2 does not have the ability to plan dives but the normal Air Z does.
To me its a lot of money.
I am told that abyssuk.com have a ppo2 monitor for 320 UK pound. I am just about to contact them.

Yeah, It's kind of hard to predict loop PO2 with the SCR thoughout the dive so planning is pretty difficult

wedivebc:
Yeah, It's kind of hard to predict loop PO2 with the SCR thoughout the dive so planning is pretty difficult

No thats not what I meant. The alladin range are able to suggest various times and depths for a '2nd' dive but the air z o2 does not have this function as it is used to calculate the requirements for the SCR. I asked the Manf if they could reprogram my air Z into an Air z o2 as I calulate my own dive times/depths and dont use that part of the comp but they said no its not possiable.
Terry

VR3. http://www.vr3.co.uk/ You may wish to search the boards for other discussions of which computer...

You can also get some bits from DeltaP to integrate the vr3 to several units on the market and there are other folks out there making adapters for additional units, http://www.tecme.de/frame_eq2.htm .

Don't screw around with the Uwatec it will be a paper weight if you move to a ccr. Even if you ultimately upgrade to a CCR with an integrated deco computer, a VR3 is a hell of a back-up unit.

The VR3 looks incredibly difficult when you initially view their interface screens on their web site, it is however very intuitive when you are actually diving it. It also providesyou with the most flexibility of any of the computers I am aware of. I have never dived the Explorer and plenty of RB divers use them, I imagine you will hear from them.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom