Which Compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wathdoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My good old Suunto compass has finally had its day after nearly 2000 dives. I do have a compass on my Eon core computer but still want a bungee mounted replacement as I do not always use the core. I could just get another Suunto, but I am curious as to others views. My diving is all UK, no longer any tec but I do need it to be readable and reliable as compass use can be very important on some dives. Thank you for comments.

Does the Eon Core compass work well? Some computer compasses work well, some don’t. If yours does why not just use it when you need one, even if just for that single purpose?

John it does work well, and you are quite right re just using it for that. In fact I had not considered that. The only problem with the core is that in bright sunlight in shallow water its display is not clear. However, in deeper dark conditions it is simply excellent. Again thank you.

My good old Suunto compass has finally had its day after nearly 2000 dives. I do have a compass on my Eon core computer but still want a bungee mounted replacement as I do not always use the core. I could just get another Suunto, but I am curious as to others views. My diving is all UK, no longer any tec but I do need it to be readable and reliable as compass use can be very important on some dives. Thank you for comments.

I dont have a suggestion for a different brand of compass. I bought my Suunto SK7 compass in 2008 and it has been with me on nearly every dive since (about 1000 by now.) It still spins like it's almost new. If you had the same one, I guess I can expect about another 1000 dives from it.

If I have anything to add to the conversation, it would be that it seems your 2000 dives with your Suunto compass was pretty typical. I used the same compass for four years with the rental gear from the shop I was teaching at. They were treated like rental gear and still never gave up.

Suunto has its share of critics, but I'm a believer.

@Wathdoc Is the brightest set to? Is it default? If you set to highest, I don't have an issue to see it if its to bright out. On default and low, it isn't bright enough to show in the sun.

My SK7 Died (came off the spindle) after 300 or so dives. I have a SK8 in a DSS housing, but but my Perdix is easier to read and use

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom