Which compact cameras do you use for underwater photography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimbolaya

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I've used my old Casio Exilim S600 with an underwater housing for over 8 years. But I'm no longer satisfied with the results. Here are some examples:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimbolaya/sets/72157621186222558/

Now I thought about taking my Nikon D5100 (entry level DSLR) underwater and I buying an underwater housing and new lense for my upcoming diving holiday (Panama, starting mid April). But that would all in all probably cost me about 1500 Euro :-(

I'm looking for a cheaper alternative and wonder if anyone can recommend a compact camera that takes really good macros, close-ups, does a good job in low-light and does hd video.

The increase in quality from my compact Exilim to my Nikon DSLR would be tremendous - but very expensive. Therefore I wouldn't mind to purchase a second hand compact camera and second hand housing (e.g. canon Powershot G12, olympus E-PL1) for about 600 Euro.

Can you recommend compact cameras that come close to entry level DSLRs underwater?
Which compact cameras do you use for underwater photography and how are your results?

It would be very cool if you could post our camera models and some sample pictures :)

Regards, Jan

Back
Top Bottom