Which Cenotes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peter33

New
Reaction score
Hi All,

We're planning a trip to Mexico this November/December, and would like to visit some cenotes. Any cenotes special, that we should not miss, or just leave it to the dive shop? I've heard that diablodivers are good, is that true? We plan 3 days/ 6 dives in Cenotes, is that sensible? Any advice would be wellcome. Thanks.
Peter

Chac Mool was good; has a very interesting halocline where, when you pass through it, everything gets blurry (I thought I had a stroke and thought, "What a place to perish...in a cave under Mexico of all places.") It took a few seconds to shake it off. Dove it with Manta Divers out of Cancun last April. You'll need a 2 or 3 mm full suit in most cenotes whichever one you choose...you'll be shivering in a shorty.

My experience is limited to Dos Ojos, which I've done twice, but I understand that it is one of the most interesting systems and a very good place for a first-timer. There are two entrances: one at Hidden Worlds and one that is just labeled Dos Ojos. At Hidden Worlds, you ride a "jungle buggy" (2-ton truck with no body) back into the jungle and then enter the system through the Bat Cave, which requires you to climb down a ladder through a hole in the ground. Your gear is lowered down on a line and you gear up on a wooden platform. They try to make it sound fun and adventurous, but it's really just a pain. At the other entrance, you drive back to a parking area right by one of the entrances. Dos Ojos means "two eyes," which refers to two sinkholes that serve as entrances. There is a pool open to the air and then you swim into the system. I found this much more accomodating. The cenote trips most shops set up are two dives in a day in one system, so your 6 dives/3 days plan sounds reasonable. Water temps are a constant 75 F, so a 3mm full suit is usually the minimum exposure protection. A hood is a good idea. Some people like to wear more neoprene. I have heard good things on the board about Diabolo Divers. I went most recently with Yucatek out of Playa del Carmen and they did a good job.

Make sure your buoyancy control is good. You will need to use a frog kick in the cenotes, so try to practice that if you don't usually use it.

We've dove 6 cenotes around Akumal and Tulum. Dos Ojo is good, but can get crowded with snorklers by mid morning. Grand is further south and towards Coba is very nice. Our favorite is Temple of Doom, giant stride and 15' to the water, almost no crowds.

For the past 3-4 years have dove the cenotes in 3mm suits, but everyone has diffent levels of comfort.

East of Grand about 1-2km. It's on the road to Coba (by the miltaty base) off 307 in Tulum. YOu have to watch for it, no big sign...

My favorite cenotes are Grand Cenote and Nohoch. I dive with ProTec. Very professional, make it real easy to enjoy the dives.

For a truly incredible experience try Angelita. It is a lot further South, but well worth it. It is a shaft that goes 180' down with a sulphuric cloud separating the fresh from salt water. I highly recommend ProTec as well.

El Grande, Taj Mahal, Dos Ojos, Chac Mol and Car Wash All great dives and offer something a little different in each to see and enjoy....I wear a three and chest over hoodie. Some of them can be chilly!!!

As said above, it depends on your comfort level. Me personally, I am cave diving the entire week...2 two hour dives per day in various systems for 6 days straight. I wear a 7mm jumpsuit with a hooded vest. My buddy wears a 5mm jumpsuit with a light hood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom