Which camera to go with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anemodiver

Reaction score
Hi,

I've about 25 dives in and now I am interesting in purchasing a Point and Shoot camera for UW photography. Could some one please provide some recomendation. Some of the features I would like to have are wide angle (16x9) pic, good on land, and fast shuttle speed...

Thank you,

I have budgeted for give or take around $750 for both P/S and Housing. I've been looking at the Canon A710 IS and various models of Olympus. Thank you all for your replies - the link to Alcina is exellent info on basic photography which I will print out and study.

Shellbackdiver1 : the Panasonic LX2 looks quite good - thanks very much...

Unless you only want small snapshots, do not buy a housing with a rectangular port. Currently none of them support extra lenses. See below.

If you go with the A710, makes sure to get an Ikelite housing. The Canon housing is NOT compatible with external optics.

Look at the Canon A570. It's relatively inexpensive an has full manual controls. The Canon housing for it can accept external lenses.

One thing to make sure of is that there IS an underwater housing available for whatever you buy, and that it's well supported. The LX-2 for instance, looks great on paper and has most of the qualities you'd want in a UW P&S camera, but after Googling for 10-15 minutes, I found no indication that anyone makes or will make a housing. That's why it's best to stick with the best supported brands, even if someone else has a superior product. Lots of nice pics from people with Canons out there. I've heard the Fuji E-900 works nicely-it has about all the bells and whistles. If the OEM housing doesn't support lenses, check out Ikelite. Most of their housings do. The Ikelite housing list is a pretty good place to start looking at camera options. They generally only build for the most popular UW models. There are many quality cameras out there that can do what you want. Main thing is to decide what you want and start using it. The more you shoot, the better you get.

Larry C, Yes, you're right. I've also googled Housing for the LX2 and seems there is none.

Shellbackdiver1, do you know if there is a housing for the LX2?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom