Which brand has more of an athletic fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_moron

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for a 7mm wetsuit that would fit an athletic build (thin waist with wide upper body). Which brand should I look towards or weed out.

Thank you in advance.

I have the same issue and for me, two brands had the solution in different ways.

First, Bare has an extensive sizing chart, based on several body measurements, not just S,M,L,XL,etc. I couldn't be happier with mine...it's a perfect fit.

Second, you could look at something like Henderson's Hyperstretch. It is quite stretchy and fits comfotrtably over many body shapes. One downside - I feel it's a little too stretchy, allowing a bit more water to flow through than I would prefer.

Several other brands also have stretchier than normal products.

Of course, you could also get a custom suit made.

Mountain Dog

This is to elaborate on my experience with Mountain Dog's second suggestion of a stretchy suit. Regarding the first, Bare suits, I've heard excellent things, but have no experience.

I had a similar issue as well and I ended up looking at the Henderson Hyperstretch and Aqualung Aquaflex 7mm suits. I opted for the Aqualung because it was less expensive and just as comfortable (my LDS was having a big Aqualung sale). I also preferred the back of it, it has a really nice back pad (makes walking with the gear for shorediving much more pleasant) and a flap under the zipper that does a good job keeping water out.

The only thing that I don't like about the Aqualung is that the arms aren't articulated (the knees are though). Not a big deal and given the price difference it was a worthwhile trade off for me. Both the Henderson and Aqualung fit extremely well for me. I've never dived in a Henderson, but haven't felt as though there was more water flow through with the Aqualung than a standard wetsuit.

Another thing that sold me on a stretchy wetsuit was how much easier it was to get into. I think it makes more of a difference the thicker you go, and it was like night and day for me with the 7mm.

Another factor to consider is durability. I have heard that the stretchy ones tend to not last as long. I've had mine for a year and so far it's in perfect shape so I can't really comment about the durability. Maybe someone else could share their experience with that?

I have a similar build and the aqualung aquaflex is a wonderful suit for me, would be nice to have articulated elbows but I prefer having the full 7mm sleeves and legs, over the 7/5mm henderson. this is the best suit I have used, havent tried the Bare, but have used henderson, oneil, bodyglove, and a couple others that were like trying to move around in a michelin man suit.

I've had great luck with Bare's sizing charts. I'm a textbook ML through them. I'm 6'1" and 185lbs but more of my girth is in my chest rather than my gut and this is the first suit that isn't an advertised flexible fabric that doesn't pool water along my lower back/abdomen.

Im short and a little heavy and the bare is the only one in the progressive stretch that fit really well. If you are in the market for a bare give www.divetank.com a try. Richard the owner will get some measurements over the phone and fit you into a suit regardless if you tell them the size they will do this. I got mine and fit like a glove. They were also almost two hundred bucks cheaper for the stuff i bought than anyone else. I also got new gloves and 7 mm hooded vest all progressive stretch. their stretchy type suit. Also they use a couple different types of neoprene in their suits so they are supposed to last a little longer than the others according to richard. One other feature is they have a flip seal about 10 inches up the leg and arm to help restrict flow through and i personally think it help when diving cold water

If I can help any of you with a bare let me know. They are nice suits and they have a wide range of sizing. The stretch does seem to allow for a wide range of sizes fit.

Brent

I have the same type of build and problem. The Henderson Hyperstretch fit really well. They are a bit too stretchy. The material also seems like it would tear up easily. Don't get me wrong. I dove a Hyperstretch 7mm several times and loved the fit.

Check out the Pinnacle Elastiprene. It is also stretchy, but not quite as much as the Henderson. Also, the material seems more durable. This is what I ended up buying vs the Henderson (personal preference).

My husband has a swimmer's body (wide shoulders, narrow waist) and found the Henderson Hyperstretch to fit the best. He's had his 3mm for over 3 years and except for a little pilling on the bottom, it looks brand new.

Henderson Hyperstretch to fit the best.

ditto,

also consider surf lines, not many out of shape surfers.

Back
Top Bottom