Which boots for Whites(Scubapro) Fusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I might get to the stage where I am getting the Fusion
I see it does not come with boots and in theory you could wear wetsuit boots on top or buy the bespoke ones.
I wanted to understand what is the experience out there and the pro and cons of the special boots versus a 6.5mm wetsuit boot set

less buoyant, better soles. the purpose of the "overboot" concept is to provide better suit flexibility and provide a durable sole to walk on without scuffing the now neoprene sock. It also significantly reduces the amount of trapped air at and around your foot as it conforms to your body better, which of course is good for trim/buoyancy.

followed by opinion- I like the Pinnacle ones (Hollis now offers and identical overboot), as the boot is really just a rubber sole for traction and durability, but retains good flexibility, the White's Evo boot has a sneaker like sole which for me is simply too stiff for comfortable finning.

what is your "scubapro" comment- are you referring to the wetsuit boots?

I tried a whole bunch of footwear with my Fusion. I absolutely LOVED the Evo boots, but they didn't fit me (I'm female with narrow feet -- they're pretty clearly made on a last for men's shoes.) They are well made, light, have a good sole which is great for rocky entries, and they provide some ankle support as well.

Since they didn't work for me, I used Chuck Taylor tennis shoes. They worked okay but it was kind of a pain to unlace and relace them over the thick socks I need in cold water. So I tried some slip-on wetsuit booties, and found them way too hard to get on and off. I went to surfer shoes, which were easy to get on and off and had a nice Velcro strap around the ankle, but the soles were thin and my feet hurt on rocks. Eventually, I bought some oversized Scubapro wetsuit booties with zippers -- they were really hard to zip up, but the sole was enough for some rocky entries, and they gave my feet additional insulation.

Then I did a cave class and didn't want anything floaty on my feet, so I went back to the surf shoes and kicked them off in a cave, so now I have Turbosoles on my Fusion :)

If you are getting a fusion go with the new fusion boots, i got evo 3 boots but they are to big for my fins, i sent them back for the fusion boots, one person i know bought the fusion boots and liked em. Ive been wearing some chuck taylors while diving it but the material that the fusion socks are made out of tend to pinch and wind up hurting, the fusion boot will fix this.

I have the fusion boots and like them. They are attached with velcro and can be removed, but I have only taken mine off to go try on fins. You just have to make sure you don't forgot to close the velcro strap around the ankle. I actually forgot once. When I was ascending I got air in my feet and my feet slipped out.

Thanks for your replies. Good input. In Europe and UK Whites distributes through Scubapro and they don't have the fusion boots in their range and propose their Fjord Rock Boots. Anyone heard about those? Alternatively I could try to get them imported though the shipping and duty costs can be a pain

I have the Whites Altera boots and like them a lot. It really depends on your primary diving conditions. When I dive the suit in warmer water I use my wetsuit boots. I bought the new fusion attached boots but didn't like them for a couple of reasons. The suit took forever to dry completely and for me at least the sock didn't stay perfectly in place during donning and doffing. To resituate the sock was a real pain as the boot velcro is placed under the outer suit velcro. So, I went back to using the Altera boots in cold water and the wetsuit boots in warmer water.

I have used the EVO3 boots and really like them. Well made, good soel for moving over rough ground and no buoyancy so they work well for me in terms of cave diving and trim.

They are wonderful boots and people who have issues with them and switch to something else are obviously using an equipment solution to solve a skills deficiency. Just kidding. :D

The downside to the Fusion boots is that they have no arch support, and my feet slip in them when I walk. This is the first DS I have owned, so I have nothing to compare it to. I have large feet for a woman that are narrow in the back and wide across the toes. The way the Fusions boots are made, they are a good fit for me. I bought the boots in a size 11, so I would have plenty of room for wool socks. They do not fit in my XL jets. I ended up buying a pair of Aqualung Rockets that fit the boots well.

I bought the White's lace-up boots with the suit. I like the boots ok, but I couldn't find a paddle fin that would fit me as well as I would like. So I've been using my 5 mil SP neoprene booties, and have been very happy with it so far.

Downside: the sole of the boot is very soft, so walking on any rocky surface requires care

Upside: the boot keeps the drysuit sock compressed, so air in my feet is less of a problem (although it has run away with me a few times :)). The boots are also on my feet solidly enough, that I've never had boot or fin come off. The neoprene boots also leave my feet/ankles with lots of mobility for frog kicks, back kicks etc.

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom