Which BCD for UK Waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

verona

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi, guys. Just joined the board and looking forward to talking to the Wreck Ferrets.

I have just begun to dive at home and realise I need a BCD which will be more suitable than the travel one I currently have.

Any recommendations for a convert to cold water? I have only used a jacket style BCD until now. I was looking at Buddy and Scubapro.

Thanks

verona:
Hi, guys. Just joined the board and looking forward to talking to the Wreck Ferrets.

I have just begun to dive at home and realise I need a BCD which will be more suitable than the travel one I currently have.

Any recommendations for a convert to cold water? I have only used a jacket style BCD until now. I was looking at Buddy and Scubapro.

Thanks

My two pennies worth, personally I prefer a wing style, so depending on funds Custom Divers either TBK or CDW or if you really are going to get the use out of it then go the whole hog and Halcyon Explorer.

It does of course depend if you are twinned up or singles ?

Not sure if that will help or not.

Hoppy

Unfortunatly I'm not experienced enough to give you any advice as I'm only experienced with the one I own but I thought I'd be polite & say hello & welcome to the UK water anyway :cheers:

What BC do you travel with, I dive a morphus twin here in drysuit and abroad??

By the way, Its good here!!! Have a great time1111111111

verona:
Hi Hoppy - singles at the moment. May move to doubles in future, though not imminent.

I dived on a TBK with singles and twins for 18 months, have to say with single it did roll a bit, but not too bad. Better on twins.

I only twin now so hard to comment further.

STIG , you are still entitled to an opinion mate, do you like what you dive ? What is it ?

Cheers

Mr Mares:
What BC do you travel with?

I have a cressi aqua light which has a soft back so it rolls up if need be. It is a great little BC, lightweight and compact but I don't think it's really sturdy enough with all the things I'm taking along now like reels and DSMBs and lights! I have dived in here as it's the only BC I have but I feel the need for something more solid. Also with the drysuit and underclothes, it's a bit tighter than it is with a 3mm shortie

Mrs Mares to be, has a Diva SL surelok, She loves it. Says it realy comfy!

I dive a Mares Vector 1000 for singles and a DiveRite wing for twins. Reason for the Vector 1000 was cos I liked the fit of the Vector Chrome. (Whilst learning I got to use a variety of kit). It is adjustable (waist) and suitable for wetsuit, drysuit and still fits - post New Year binge. Having seen a *well* used model (~250 dives), if I had to do it again I would seriously consider a Buddy as they are totally servicable, whereas the Vector may be binned soon.

Bare in mind that some BCs are have considerably less lift than others even if they are made for the same size fit. That will likely be an issue if you are carrying more (in the form of twins, ponies, lead, reels, dsmbs, torches) and / or have to deal with choppy seas.

Some jacket BCs will not fit some women comfortably, so I'd advise you to hire, beg, borrow or steal a particular model before buying one.

S.C.

While some (most?) people on this board will recommend backplate / wing, Im still unconvinced as to the benefits for a single cylinder because even with a twinset, Im prone to rolling around a bit with my diverite classic (although to be fair, Im still in the set-up stage).
I bought a second hand buddy commando as my jacket bcd, which is made in the UK and works very well in UK conditions. You can also buy twinning bands and use them with a twinset if you wish as it has enough lift.
The only problems with the Buddy are that they are quite heavy so will take up more weight allowance on flights (so I've heard, I have nothing to compare it to) and that because they are made and sold almost exclusively in the UK, you may have problems servicing it and/or finding parts overseas. Although, the same could be said of Apeks regs...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom