Which Aqualung Legend to Choose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeannie Knierim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are still fairly new to diving. We were certified 2 years ago, but the pandemic has slowed our ability to continue to improve as divers.

We have each logged 10 dives, so definitely still new... On our last trip in November to Cancun, I had my first not so good experience. The regulator that I rented from the hotel dive shop made breathing very difficult. It scared me enough that I ended my dive and went back to the boat. I said something to the dive master who told me that I had to make a decision to continue diving with the regulator or return to the boat since he was the only person with the rest of the group. Not wanting to ruin anyone else's dive, I returned to the boat.

After that, I refused to dive the rest of the trip because I did not trust the equipment from the dive shop. I told my husband that before we go on our next trip, I wanted to purchase my own regulator so that I would never have an experience lie that again.

I know that I have used an Aqualung regulator on my previous dives without any problem, so I figure that it would be a good choice. I am leaning towards the Legend line so that it will grow with me as I continue my diving journey. Since there are 3 models of the Legend, I am trying to decide which one will grow with me the best--the Legend, Legend MBS, or Legend Elite. I thought I would turn to the experts here. I will primarily dive in Mexico and the Caribbean. We are planning a trip to Australia and New Zealand once everything opens back up. We are in Texas, so we may do some practice diving in some of our lakes around us as well.

All three are great regulators and I suspect you would be happy with any of them. Prior to the 3rd version released last year the top of the line Legends were the MBS models. The Elite model provides separate controls that many others provide as standard options at a premium price. If the $100 "upgrade" over the MBS won't break the bank, then go with the Elite and you won't ever wonder "what if"...
I think the Core or Core Supreme are better value regulators in the Aqualung line.

What do you mean by "grow" with you?

What are your expectations with regards to this?

-Z

The Elite model provides separate controls that many others provide as standard options at a premium price. If the $100 "upgrade" over the MBS won't break the bank, then go with the Elite and you won't ever wonder "what if"...

I would second this opinion if you want to stay with the AL legend series. I'd also consider the Apeks XTX50 with DST first stage from the AL group:
XTX50 Regulator

If you want the best value with best performance and outstanding reliability in regulators that can go on for years without needing servicing, I'd consider the Atomics Z2 (with sealed first stage):
Dive Regulators: The Z2/Z3 Regulator from Atomic Aquatics

The Atomic Z2 is a better regulator than the AL's with less cost. Top value in the mid range price regulators with VERY top performance and reliability.

Heck, if you can afford the AL MBS or the Elite, you should consider the Atomic Aquatics M1 or the B2 (sealed). They are much better than the AL regulators with much better price.

Dive Regulators: The M1 Regulator from Atomic Aquatics

Dive Regulators: The B2 Regulator from Atomic Aquatics

In comparison, the Atomic regulators are much better value (price, reliability, performance than the AL regulators in all price categories).

At one time I was an Apeks zealot...I think I had a total of 9 or 10 Apeks and I would enthusiastically recommend them to anybody. I loved the fact of identical service kits, common parts across models, etc. I am now down to three...my XTX50 sidemount set and a DS4. I would never consider the Flight or XL4 because of the proprietary parts (primarily just the second stage with the XL4).

The issue that caused me to move away is how easy it is to rotate the lever feet on the second stages when tightening the heat exchanger. Too few technicians use the correct torque nor verify that they did not turn the lever away from vertical. The average consumer would not realize that only one lever foot is touching the diaphragm when they pick up their regulator from service. I no longer recommend Apeks for this reason.

I used to dive an Atomic ST1 and had zero issues but I have not used or looked at an Atomic regulator since 2012...so I can't comment.

What do you mean by "grow" with you?

What are your expectations with regards to this?

-Z
Since I am new to diving, I want to buy a good quality regulator that I will not need to upgrade later as I become more experienced. I do not see myself doing any technical diving as I am more interested in underwater photography and enjoying the wildlife below the surface.

All three are great regulators and I suspect you would be happy with any of them. Prior to the 3rd version released last year the top of the line Legends were the MBS models. The Elite model provides separate controls that many others provide as standard options at a premium price. If the $100 "upgrade" over the MBS won't break the bank, then go with the Elite and you won't ever wonder "what if"...
I think the Core or Core Supreme are better value regulators in the Aqualung line.
I want to make sure that I select a regulator that breathes easy. That is most important to me! I want it to breathe easy at the surface as well as below the surface. Of course quality is also important as I want one that will last a long time. Do I need to purchase a Legend or would the Core work for what I am wanting?

In my family of four we have 3 Aqualung Legends and 1 Mikron. I recently purchased an Apeks XTX50 to replace my 12+ year old Legend. When I compared the new Legend to the Apeks I felt the breathing, for me, was the same. I did prefer the swivel on the first stage on the Apeks so that's how I decided.
If I could have demoed a Deep6 regulator I feel like I would have eagerly purchased one since all of my other Deep6 products have been fantastic. Combined with their customer service its hard to beat.

As a fellow Houstonian I would be happy to let you Demo any of the above regulators to help in your decision. Just PM me and we can find time to meet up.

I have an AquaLung Legend LX Supreme set I’m selling as I’m diving all sidemount now. This was the top of the line reg. Breathes great. You’d have to switch some hoses around as I had it set as a long hose primary set but it’s a bargain.

For Sale - AL Legend LX Supreme set

Since I am new to diving, I want to buy a good quality regulator that I will not need to upgrade later as I become more experienced. I do not see myself doing any technical diving as I am more interested in underwater photography and enjoying the wildlife below the surface.

I would 2nd the recommendation in post #2 about the Aqualung Core/Core Supreme. It is a balance diaphragm 1st stage with a balance 2nd stage. Internally it is not much different than the more expensive regulators in Aqualung's line up.

Use the money you save on buying the "just as good but less expensive reg set" on photography equipment.

Aqualung is a good choice from the standpoint that you can get it serviced just about anywhere in the world...but all those knobs and levers in the MBS and what not are not really needed to have a well performing regulator, and in fact can add to what can go wrong.

That being said, I think just about everything in Aqualung's line up will suit your needs.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom