Which Apeks first stages for tech back mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
If you saw my last thread I'm going into tech diving.

I will not be doing cave.

I'm getting Apeks regs for my doubles, please I dont want to hear get this brand instead.

I'm going with XTX50 seconds, I'm wondering which first will be best for hose routing, must be cold water rated. I plan to have a brass and glass on one first and my transmitter on the other, I also plan for wing on left and drysuit on right.

So the options look like DST, DS4 or TEK, which route the best?

@formernuke if you are committed to XTX seconds, then the DST is the only first stage worth looking at for doubles. IMO you NEED the fifth port kits for the first stages. It is ridiculous they don't include them as standard, but for doubles they make the hose routing infinitely better. When you buy, have them installed. Places like Dive Right in Scuba will do it for you when you buy new, others should as well.

Exception is if you find a great deal on a used set. There's a $700 Tek3 set on here instead of $1300 for new. I'll sacrifice the hose routing for $600

I'm quite partial to my Tek3's. Very clean, although I'd agree with tbone that the left post secondary and right post wing hoses can be a little sharp for some tastes. I've not had a problem with them personally but make sure to stick with high quality rubber hoses.

DST with the 5th port work the best. DS4 with ATX40 is much cheaper and works but with a nasty bend in your secondary’s hose an the wing’s hose.

I have a mixture of all of the above plus XTX40s an 50s and can’t tell them apart by breathing.

• DST with the 5th port has the best routing by far. Routes the same as the popular Mk25 alternative from the other brand. I dive Apeks DST with 5th port in my doubles amd am very happy with it.
  • Second best routing, but far more expensive is the FSR (XTX100/200 first stages). The angled ports really help if you put it on in the right way. If you don’t like that routing, you can also put a 5th port on it and get another good routing option.
  • DS4 are the cheapest, with a not optimal routing, but plenty of folks still happily dive it. Super popular due to attractive price and low weight.
  • XL4 ... no idea. It’s fairly new, I don’t know anyone who has one ... looks like a shiny marketing version 2.0 of the DS4.
  • Tek3 ... I teally don’t understand at all. It unites the drawbacks of the DS4 and the FSR: they’re espensive and don’t route well if you ask me.
So: It’d say go for the DST. If you don’t like the idea of the extra o-ring in the swivel (although I don’t know of any cases of this ever failing), get the FSR. If that’s too pricy, go DS4.

FSR with 5th Port. Nice hose routing with transmitter on Right Post. Easier to maintain than the DST. No turret means less failure points. Also, the FSR is the only 1st stage with replaceable HP Valve Seat. On other Apeks 1st stage models (DS4, US4, DST) if the HP valve seat is damaged, you replace the entire Body :(.

For best routing DST+5 or MTX-R.
XL4+ (DB4) with two HP ports has a slight advantage over DS4 if you ever consider using a wireless transmitter on right post as it allows downward pointing hp ports on both posts.
MTX or DB4 may have an advantage in cold water but that is quite theoretical since a well maintained DST or DS4 fair perfectly in freezing conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom