Which Aggressor Destination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Black Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Thinking about booking my first liveaboard trip in the next few weeks for sometime around Feb. or Mar. 2018. Looking for help on choosing a destination. Right now, my top 3 are Belize, Kona, and Costa Rica. I wouldn't rule out Roatan or the Bahamas if one of those places blow away the other 3. Belize has the advantage of a 25% off special in the months I'm looking. Advice?

Last edited:
I'd say that Cocos Island will blow away everything other than the Galapagos or the far Pacific sites. OTOH, it might be a big step for a first liveaboard trip and you won't be able to cut it short if you don't like it. The Bahamas might be a better start. Nice diving, and one of the cheaper trips they offer. Belize was OK too, as were the Caymans. If you decide on Cocos, let me know. I have a return trip booked for the end of February and can perhaps provide a few tips.

I don't think you would go wrong with Belize. We have a group going next May on the Belize Aggressor IV. 25% off is a really good deal and airfare should be reasonable.

Cocos is great but I would not consider it a first liveaboard experience. Out of the choices you have listed, my pick would be Belize.

Hey everyone. Thinking about booking my first liveaboard trip in the next few weeks for sometime around Feb. or Mar. 2018. Looking for help on choosing a destination. Right now, my top 3 are Belize, Kona, and Costa Rica. I wouldn't rule out Roatan or the Bahamas if one of those places blow away the other 3. Belize has the advantage of a 25% off special in the months I'm looking. Advice?

I believe that the 25% off specials you refer to are for the "Dive the World Club" which are only available to repeat customers during specific weeks - so you wouldn't qualify for the discount if this is your first Aggressor trip.

If you can wait and be more flexible with your dates, then be aware that for the last few years the aggressor has been offering a 30% or higher anniversary sale during February.

You have to book a trip during the sale at the discounted price, but you will have your pick of boats and trips for most dates during the remainder of the year.

There is no guarantee that they will offer the sale again in Feb 2018 - but if they do then it's a nice deal. See the link below for info about the 33% off 2017 Anniversary sale that they offered last February.

Aggressor Fleet is Offering 33% Off Again!

Last edited:
Kona is often referred to as the cellphone liveaboard since you're rarely out of range. They do go further south than some of the day operators and of course having your room 50' from the dive operation is nice but a lot of the dives they do can be done with a land-based boat operator almost as easily. Some of the Kona operators offer extended range trips south now also. At least one of the dives listed is frequently done as a shore dive (Old Airport), I wouldn't want to pay liveaboard money for that one...

I haven't done either but I'd pick one of the Belize boats for a first trip. They take you to some of the best diving and it's convenient to get there now since Southwest started flights there and the boats leave from Belize City harbor.

Personally I'd book Aggressor IV over III. It's the bigger boat and more importantly if you're a single, the cabin you share has beds on the floor, not bunks so one of you isn't always climbing over the other. Also I believe all the cabins are main deck, on III they're all one deck down. Nice to have a window instead of a porthole near the waterline - esp. if you get seasick. IV is the older boat, it's the renamed Dancer. I've been on a boat just like it, having the extra room/decks is nice if there's someone on-board you want to get away from - there's almost always one..

drrich2 was on it fairly recently and he posted a detailed trip report somewhere here.

Last edited:
. I wouldn't rule out Roatan or the Bahamas if one of those places blow away the other 3.
Neither do. Belize being in the same general area as Roatan the reef is likely similar.

I'd personally rate Bahamas diving a step down from any of your other choices plus the current Aggresor run seems to mostly stay off Grand Bahama (Freeport) since they're trying to tie-in with Tiger Beach on a lot of their trips.

The previous Bahamas run was a lot better as they moved around in the out islands more - departed rom Nassau. They can't do the same run from Freeport.

Except for a day or two at the seamounts, most of the Roatan Aggressor itinerary is either around Roatan or Utila. I've done many of the dives they list at both since they're the best. We rode right by the Aggressor (was the MV Pearl then) moored at the Halliburton wreck just off the harbor on Utila once. Again it's just a matter of convenience if you want to bring your room with you. Probably nicer service on the boat than just about anywhere on Utila except maybe Utopia Village.

I believe that the 25% off specials you refer to are for the "Dive the World Club" which are only available to repeat customers during specific weeks - so you wouldn't qualify for the discount if this is your first Aggressor trip.

If you can wait and be more flexible with your dates, then be aware that for the last few years the aggressor has been offering a 30% or higher anniversary sale during February.

You have to book a trip during the sale at the discounted price, but you will have your pick of boats and trips for most dates during the remainder of the year.

There is no guarantee that they will offer the sale again in Feb 2018 - but if they do then it's a nice deal. See the link below for info about the 33% off 2017 Anniversary sale that they offered last February.

Aggressor Fleet is Offering 33% Off Again!

I know what you're talking about, but I'm under impression you're not eligible for the onboard discounts but you can still get the 25% off of the trip. I went through the reservation process all the way until it was ready to take my credit card and it was going to bill me at the 25% off rate.

Kona is often referred to as the cellphone liveaboard since you're rarely out of range. They do go further south than some of the day operators and of course having your room 50' from the dive operation is nice but a lot of the dives they do can be done with a land-based boat operator almost as easily. Some of the Kona operators offer extended range trips south now also. At least one of the dives listed is frequently done as a shore dive (Old Airport), I wouldn't want to pay liveaboard money for that one...

I haven't done either but I'd pick one of the Belize boats for a first trip. They take you to some of the best diving and it's convenient to get there now since Southwest started flights there and the boats leave from Belize City harbor.

Personally I'd book Aggressor IV over III. It's the bigger boat and more importantly if you're a single, the cabin you share has beds on the floor, not bunks so one of you isn't always climbing over the other. Also I believe all the cabins are main deck, on III they're all one deck down. Nice to have a window instead of a porthole near the waterline - esp. if you get seasick. IV is the older boat, it's the renamed Sun Dancer. I've been on a boat just like it, having the extra room/decks is nice if there's someone on-board you want to get away from - there's almost always one..

drrich2 was on it fairly recently and he posted a detailed trip report somewhere here.

Awesome, that was going to be my next question.

I'd say that Cocos Island will blow away everything other than the Galapagos or the far Pacific sites. OTOH, it might be a big step for a first liveaboard trip and you won't be able to cut it short if you don't like it. The Bahamas might be a better start. Nice diving, and one of the cheaper trips they offer. Belize was OK too, as were the Caymans. If you decide on Cocos, let me know. I have a return trip booked for the end of February and can perhaps provide a few tips.

Thanks! I was really intrigued with Cocos but when researching it further I saw the total trip would have only 18 dives as opposed to the 27 you can get at Belize. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom