WhiBal Card / S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OBXDIVEGUY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am piecing together my Canon S90 system. I have the camera (love it) and a new Inon S2000 strobe that I've been testing out on my old Olympus stylus. I'm waiting to figure the camera out a bit, and save up some moola, for the FIX housing.

In the meantime, I know next to nothing about underwater/digital/anything photography. I couldn't tell you what the difference between an f-stop and ISO speed are, but I'll figure it out eventually. Thats what books are for.

What I do know is white balance seems to be a key element. I've played with the manual white balance setting on the S90, and think I have it figured out. Would you more knowledgable folks recommend something like this:
Digital Photography - RawWorkflow.com - WhiBal Certified Gray Card for White Balance
Or, can I use just a typical white slate? Since I'm new to this, I admit I'm susceptible to worthless gadgets and gizmos, as a new diver is atracted to the tank bangers and super dry snorkels :eyebrow:

Thanks,
OBX

Don't worry over the white balance if you shoot RAW. And you are using a strobe! Even if you shoot JPEG you can alter the photos in PE or Picasa. I usually just set to either the UW setting or the shade setting. Not saying that is right, just what I do. Your S90 came with software for RAW and some other things. At least mine did.

N

I wouldn't go so far as to call the gadget you're interested in buying totally worthless. However, when I want to set white balance underwater, I use a dive slate. It's something I carry anyways. I've tried a white light switch cover & it works just fine & it's less than a dollar. Although it's tiny, it's an extra piece of gear to deal with. I've also set it by just pointing the camera at a patch of sand with acceptable results.

Thanks for the help! I've never done anything in RAW. From what I can tell when I played with the setting, is it appears to be a huge file, as opposed to a JPEG. I did get the software with the camera, but have yet to goof with it.

Thats exactly what I was trying to avoid, spending $30 on something that can be accomplished another way. Although, 30 bucks isn't that bad in scheme of things with u/w toys. I'll try the u/w setting and maybe the sand trick, especially on the shallow beach dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom