Where's My OC-1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laurie S.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In late May (only six months after I bought it), my OC-1 showed a "low battery" signal so I took it to my dive shop. They found out it had to go to the factory to get a replacement and after I showed them a receipt for it, they shipped it off about three weeks ago.

I have been calling the shop for an update for a week now and they can't get calls returned from Oceanic. Finally, two days ago, they found out that although the battery has been replaced, Oceanic still hasn't shipped it back yet. I am going on a dive trip in Mexico leaving a week from today and the dive shop still can't get a confirmation that it's been shipped. Is this normal for Oceanic?

I'm only at 22 dives and don't want to use a loaner computer for the weekend. It is extremely frustrating, and nervewracking, to say the least!

My dive shop isn't the problem, because the employee who is checking for me is very diligent and a good friend of mine. She keeps calling and they don't answer the phone, so she leaves a message and they don't call back. She finally got hold of a live person once and that was when she found out that they had changed the battery. It's getting tiresome.

I am not a happy camper! I finally got my computer back on Thursday, and came down to San Carlos, Mexico the next morning. On my first dive today, I discovered that my OC-1 will not give me a psi reading! It gives me the depth and the duration of the dive, but no information on how much air I have! Fortunately, I'm diving with an excellent divemaster and our breathing rates are almost identical. So, my weekend isn't ruined, but it could have been.

On top of that, when I got the computer back, I noticed that Oceanic had put a new protective cover on the computer face, but they are worthless, because by the second dive it had come off. I thought the face had looked a little funny when the cover was on, and lo and behold, when it came off there's a brand new scratch almost completely across the face that wasn't there when I sent it in.

I am NOT a happy customer!

Not saying you have not done it yet, but did you make sure that the transmitter serial number was put back into the computer, when i sent my OC-1 back in I had to put the transmitter numbers back into the computer. Hope this helps.

Yes, I finally figured that out today before the first dive! You would think they would put a note or something in with it when they send it back that you need to do that. I find the manual to be pretty useless and the DVD doesn't work with my computer so I've been learning it by the 'what does this button(s) do?' method. Anyway, two great dives today and it's working fine.

Oh, this is weird. After diving yesterday, the scratch disappeared. It definitely was there before, and I could even feel it with my fingernail, but now it's gone. Self-healing computer? Either way, everything is good now!

......I find the manual to be pretty useless and the DVD doesn't work with my computer so I've been learning it by the 'what does this button(s) do?' method. .....

We plan to release the OC1 Online Class by mid next week; it will have lots of videos with "how-to" examples.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom