Where to stow Lift bag and SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Octopusprime

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got the Hollis SMS100 and still working out my configuration and looking for suggestions. So I dive Dry with the SMS100 Sidemount BCD and LP Steel 112 tanks. The diving I'm planning will require 1 or 2 deco bottles depending on dive profile etc.

I am trying to decide where to mount the lift bag and SMB. For the SMB I want to have it attached to the finger spool and ready to go so the thigh pocket is a little hard to get it in and out. Most of the time I will not need additional reels so I was thinking just putting it on the Butt ring.

For the Lift Bag, I have many options. There are some extra attachment points and I can mount a sleeve vertically, I can put in loops where the can light battery would go since I do not have one or I have seen people bungee them to the but of a tank. The sleeve looks like it would be hard to put away underwater. On the Tank will be easy to get to but looks like it would be easy to lose.

Drysuit thigh pocket.

In the milk crate in the back of the truck.

When I'm diving in the ocean, and need an SMB/Liftbag, I put it on the butt d-ring wrapped up and held in place by some bungee.

in sidemount? it causes some serious a-framing if you do that
what is A-framing? I am interested as right now I keep my SMB attached to my backplate along my side. That obviously wont work for sidemount so ive been contemplating using my thigh pockets for that reason.

Butt d-ring, buttplate rails, drysuit pocket or bungeed to back of backplate or a combination of these can all work very well. See what works best for you. I know some people dont like putting them in drysuit pockets for sidemount but it might also depend on the location of your pockets.

For wreck diving I carry combination of bags/SMBs. I keep a 50# liftbag bungee'd to the bottom of my backplate. I know you're diving sidemount but you should probably be able to rig up some bungee in a similar fashion on an SMS100 somewhere. It's a cheap and simple solution.

I keep either a reel (or spool) attached to a SMB clipped to my buttplate. In one of my drysuit pockets I also have a yellow "emergency" SMB.

If you have the reel/SMB bungeed together and clip it to one of the inner butt d-rings it really does not stick out very far. I don't like using the side rails when I have lots of bottles clipped off but in a pinch it works fine if you have issues reaching the back d-ring.

upload_2018-6-22_11-30-33.png

what is A-framing? I am interested as right now I keep my SMB attached to my backplate along my side. That obviously wont work for sidemount so ive been contemplating using my thigh pockets for that reason.

a-framing is when the tanks go from parallel to your spine to sticking out like the legs of an A which makes you "plow" through the water. Also not particularly comfortable especially when you have to actually access something.

In sidemount, I just clip everything to the butt d-rings/rails. Unlike in backmount, you actually have a place to stick stuff on your butt, so maximize it. I don't have thigh pockets on my suits for a reason, they're a necessary evil in backmount, and I try not to carry so much stuff that I actually need it. On a CCR it's a bit more required stuff, but mine is also backmount, so I use a waist pocket on my belt.

Butt d-ring, buttplate rails, drysuit pocket or bungeed to back of backplate or a combination of these can all work very well. See what works best for you. I know some people dont like putting them in drysuit pockets for sidemount but it might also depend on the location of your pockets.

For wreck diving I carry combination of bags/SMBs. I keep a 50# liftbag bungee'd to the bottom of my backplate. I know you're diving sidemount but you should probably be able to rig up some bungee in a similar fashion on an SMS100 somewhere. It's a cheap and simple solution.

I keep either a reel (or spool) attached to a SMB clipped to my buttplate. In one of my drysuit pockets I also have a yellow "emergency" SMB.

If you have the reel/SMB bungeed together and clip it to one of the inner butt d-rings it really does not stick out very far. I don't like using the side rails when I have lots of bottles clipped off but in a pinch it works fine if you have issues reaching the back d-ring.

View attachment 465156

So I have mounted the lift bag where the yellow rectangle is with some bungee. This is reachable.

I tried the SMB where the red circle is but it is out of reach. I’m going to try to relocate the ring.

I need to move rails to top holes to make it is easier to reach and better trim. Outing SMB in pocket is hard to get out and pushes tank out away from my body.

Set up is getting closer. Thanks for everyone’s suggestions.

Attachments

• 49BBBCBE-2F8E-4E0B-AA26-F4621D8EB9E2.jpeg
    49BBBCBE-2F8E-4E0B-AA26-F4621D8EB9E2.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 543
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom