Where to stay on Cayman Brac- help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

susan6868

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi-
This summer I would like to take my family to Cayman Brac for a week's vacation. We will all be diving, including my two teenagers, aged 14 and 15. My 15 year old daughter finally decided she was missing something awesome and will be completeing her open water certification while in Cayman Brac.
We really need the advice of some seasoned Brac travelers as to where to stay. Which side of the island, which dive op to use, etc.
We are not adverse to hotels, resorts, condos, etc although I'm sure the kids would like TV and a pool if possible so they don't make us crazy in the downtime.
Some friends have recommended Divi Tiara, others say Brac Reef condos are the way to go. I have never been to Cayman to I'm lost!
I just got back from Utila and I have to admit that the advice I got from my friends at Scubaboard was the best, bar none. So much better than any travel agent or magazine. Please let me know what your favorites are and what you think would work best for us.
PS- I really love the idea of "valet" diving. We did that in Utila and I can say that there is nothing like strolling to the dive boat and only having to carry your wet suit and a towel!
Thanks in advance- can't wait to hear your thoughts!

susan6868:
We really need the advice of some seasoned Brac travelers as to where to stay. Which side of the island, which dive op to use, etc.

There's only two hotels .. the Tiara and Brac Reef. Each of them has their own in-house dive operation.

For other places, the Tiara has a Timeshare that you might be able to trade into (RCI?), although as an owner there, I do have to express disappointment with how they've been ripped up for the past 3 years (yes, before Ivan) in an agonizingly slow "rennovation". There's also Brac Caribbean Beach Village and Carib Sands fairly close by, and I believe that Reef Divers will pick up customers from their dock.

Finally, there's The Breakers and Almond Beach, plus Walton's Mango Manor and several private homes...look at: http://www.thebrac.com/index.html In general, these places are all located a substantial distance from the hotels and their dive operations, so a rental car is a must (I use DDDD's).

Some friends have recommended Divi Tiara, others say Brac Reef condos are the way to go. I have never been to Cayman to I'm lost!

The absolutely most important thing to know is that it is one more flight from Grand Cayman. As such, you need to use Cayman Brac's airport code ... CYB ... instead of Grand Cayman's (GCM). Believe it or not, we've met people in Grand Cayman's airport who had tried to take a taxi to the Brac!

The next most important thing for you to know is that the Brac is QUIET, even after the occasional (and IMO obnoxious) Karoke machine. Think about spending time hiking some trails, going into a couple of caves and just general birdwatching. Its not a city-centric environment where fun = nightclub.

Hope this helps,

-hh

Thanks hh-
Quiet is PERFECT! Thanks for the airport tip as well. My sources tell me that June is the best time to look for more reasonable airfares as Cayman Airways puts everything on sale for their "anniversary".
I appreciate your input, and will check on the condos you mentioned. A private home would be wonderful but I would prefer the convenience of close proximity to the dive operator.
Thanks again.
Susan

Speaking as an Instructor who used to work at Divi Tiara on 'The Brac', you are assured an absolutely warm welcome from Max, ( the General Manager ) Liz, and the rest of the team. They are always there for your every need...I'm not kidding!

Reef Divers are also a ' Top notch " operation, but then I am a little biased having worked for Divi Tiara.

I agree with hh, as I too have used the timeshares at the Divi. I have been to both the Divi and the Brac Reef Resort. I would prefer the Divi as I think the DMs at the Divi are even more service orientated ...if that's possible. I would have to say that the in the past the food at the Divi took the edge also. This is my opinion, others may not agree. The beach area is alittle nicer at the Brac Reef, but I like the pool better at the Divi. There are not restaurants in walking distance like on Bonaire and there is no business like Cozumel, it's quiet and there's not alot to do other than dive the Brac, dive Little Cayman, snorkel, play tennis, motor scooter, caving, exploring, mining for camanite, trail walking or hiking by the Bluff, bird watching at the salt ponds, bone fishing, and watching the sun go down over Little Cayman. Twice I've been at the Brac when the Divi dm's took the boat all the way around the Island for a treat.

hh.. this is not on subject, but Aileen Kane, former photo diva of divi would like to hear from you...!

Divi Tiara it is! Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom