Where to stay in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aaron Lambright

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello.
My girlfriend and I are looking for a place to stay in Belize. We have decided to go big and find a place with the over-the-water bungalows. Being Belize, I want to find a place that is close to a good dive center. She would like a decent beach. Anyone out there no of such a place? :)

Placencia has some really great beaches and some excellent dive centers, but I don't remember seeing any over the water cabanas. Lots of cabanas on the beach, though. Going "big" might mean staying at Francis Ford Coppola's Turtle Inn. You can even get Francis' private cabana, assuming he's not staying there when you go, complete with his butler.

Down in Punta Gorda, Dennis Garbutt built two cabanas and a tri-plex that jut out over the water at Garbutt's Marina. But these are pretty basic, nice but basic, and there's no beach at all there, just rocks. Great view of Honduras Bay and if you're lucky enough to be there during a thunderstorm you'll be treated to quite the light show. Dennis runs a small dive op out of the marina, but I haven't used it as he can't take out just one diver.

More "go big" choices: take a look at Turneffe Island Resort, Turneffe Flats and Blackbird Caye Resort, pretty much in that order. All are on the atoll. Private cabanas, right on the beach with in-house dive ops. Further south is Hatchet Caye with the same setup . Same is true for Hamanasi in Hopkins on the mainland but it's bigger with more of a hotel feel but does have some private cabanas.

Maybe Amergris Caye? I haven't been there but it's the most popular tourist destination so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Over water bungalows aren't as much of a "thing" in Belize as some destinations. (Maybe they're afraid they will get wiped out by a storm, or there just aren't many suitable spots to build these there?) If you're imagining something with a sprawling network of walkways out to lots of bungalows in a bright blue shallow bay like you see pictures of on travel sites, I don't think you can find that there. If you google it I see there are a handful of places with a few, but you'd want to research each and verify if there is actually a beach and a functional dive op that meets your needs - definitely don't assume.

If you want to splurge in Belize I'd also look at nicer places with cabanas on the beach or similar, might land you a place that is an overall better fit for you. @Downing has lots of good suggestions. Then plan another trip someplace else to get your OW bungalow fix. There seems to be lots more of these in the Pacific, though you can find some other places in the Caribbean too. (Which would be the best for diving I don't know.)

should also add that a 'decent beach' is going to be a tough find on ambergris. Certainly nothing for swimming. It's a marine reserve, ergo lots of seagrass. We stay at Belizean cove estates when we are on ambergris. 10/10 pool overlooking the beach. When we want beach (walking/swimming/sunbathing), we go to Bermuda etc. You don't have to be right by a diveop though. the guys will come and pick you up and drop you off after diving.

Beachfront Villas & Vacation Rentals - Belizean Cove Estates, Ambergris Caye

upload_2020-3-1_13-6-47.jpeg

Great diving. The owner is a skilled fisherman too.

Hank, isn't that a bar? Unless I have it mixed it up with another resort, I don't think that's a cabana for overnight guests.

Could be wrong.

Hank, isn't that a bar? Unless I have it mixed it up with another resort, I don't think that's a cabana for overnight guests.

Could be wrong.
I stayed there a few years ago. They have over night cabanas on the water. A bit basic but was ok.
Marisol Resort, on the south tip of Glovers, has a bar like that. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

If OP is looking to go big they aren't looking for basic, Hank. Lol

I do not know of any over water accommodations but if you want to go big, look at Victoria House on Ambergris Caye

Back
Top Bottom