Question Where to stay and dive in Coiba, Panama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cup.of.it

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there! (I'm new to the forum)

I'm going to Panama City at the end of February for a wedding and would love some recs for diving. We'll probably spend a few days in Boquete and then likely Coiba. I'm thinking driving or taking a bus or private shuttle from David to Santa Catalina, spend 2-3 days, then bus back to Panama City to fly out.

What's your thought on:
--Does that sound reasonable as a plan?
--What's a good dive shop to go with? I'm fairly experienced (300+ dives, good buoyancy control); ideally want small group and reliable rental equipment
--Where's a good spot to stay in? Ideally would have ocean view, since I'm traveling with a non-diving spouse (his only flaw, really) so a nice terrace to watch the ocean and read a book would be nice

Thanks in advance!

My one trip was in 2013, so my knowledge may be out of date, but Scuba Coiba was (and hopefully still is) a great operation. My wife and I took Scuba Coiba's small boat out to Coiba island and stayed in the camp there overnight.

My one trip was in 2013, so my knowledge may be out of date, but Scuba Coiba was (and hopefully still is) a great operation. My wife and I took Scuba Coiba's small boat out to Coiba island and stayed in the camp there overnight.
I did research before a trip to Panama in 2011. I ended up staying in Panama City.

Scuba Coiba had some interesting trips including overnighting on the island. They also had some accommodation partners.

I dove with Scuba Coiba recently. The dive masters were top notch, best I ever had. The dive sites are awesome—probably as good as Malvinas.

There were several other scuba shops there that also looked ok. They seem to all source their tanks, boats, boat drivers, and boat help from the same locally run outfit. Considering that and the fact that the dive sites are the same, it comes down to dive masters—I can’t speak about the other shops’ dive masters but Scuba Coiba’s were awesome. The one thing they could have improved was the cleanliness of the rinse tank after diving.

For lodging, I think most folks stay in Santa Catalina. There are options for lodging in Coiba itself but it seems like it’s more expensive and offers less dining and shopping options (not that Santa Catalina had a plethora, but they at least had a general store, ATM, and more choices for dinner than we had nights to eat).

We stayed at Iguanito and it had everything we wanted. Room prices seemed to be on the higher end, but the breakfast was awesome (and the restaurant also had great dinner). Rooms were very clean, and beds were not great but sufficiently comfortable. There were also ten other options that came recommended by Scuba Coiba.

For lodging, I think most folks stay in Santa Catalina. There are options for lodging in Coiba itself but ....
Staying overnight in the rustic cabin on Coiba was the best part of the whole experience, in my opinion. I have never done anything like that on a dive trip. It was somewhat like camping. They cooked us homestyle meals, and we got to chat with each other. A more intimate experience than even a liveaboard.

Back
Top Bottom