Where to shore dive in or near Brooklyn, NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all4scuba05

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I drive to Brooklyn twice a month and sometimes can fit a dive in if I knew where to dive. Would be an afternoon shoredive.

all4scuba05:
I drive to Brooklyn twice a month and sometimes can fit a dive in if I knew where to dive. Would be an afternoon shoredive.

I guess you can try Beach/8th street in Rockaway..or can try to go on a midweek night dive out of New Rochelle on a boat.If interested in the night dive pm me and I'll send details..

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_/New_York_/Street8/index.htm

Link above is for a review of Beach 8th, the only shore dive near Brooklyn. I have done some dives off Coney Island but that was with a permit only.

The above review was after just an ok dive that day. It gets better and worse, lol. It really is hit or miss so getting on a boat is your best option unless you can dive at the exact tide window and you don't have high expectations. That said, some days I have had 10+ ft of viz, seen tons of creatures and fish (stripers, groupers, butterfly fish, lionfish, crabs, lobster, sea horse, flounder, and more) all on one dive. The tropicals shoe up and get trapped when the water gets warmer in the summer. You just never know what you will see there. One reliable diver reported seeing a 6+ foot shark by the bridge. It's surprisingly clean water. It's a very popular spot for fishing so be careful and watch out for active hooks. A dive flag is a must and the coastgaurd has been known to show up and check plus the current is RIPPING unless you hit it at slack so watch your dive time and be careful as weekends bring busy boat traffic and my guess is most don't have a clue what a diver down flag is. Other than those dangers that can be avoided with proper gear and planning, the dive is a piece of cake. Have fun!

Thankyou...looks like 8th street it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom