Where to see ancient artifacts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goose75

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I love history and reading about ancient archeological finds. I've visited some of the ancient world above ground sites and have loved every minute. Is there any known location you can dive without being part of a dig?

I went on a cruise ship to Mexico once, and there were hundreds of old fossils all over the ship. Most of them ate at the early sitting for dinner.

W

I don't know the details, but a diver I know mentioned diving in Greece where there were many archeological and historic sites right off of the coast, with lots to see, explore and find.

Michael

michaelp68:
I don't know the details, but a diver I know mentioned diving in Greece where there were many archeological and historic sites right off of the coast, with lots to see, explore and find.

I can't find my reference to it but I heard about diving in Alexandria Egypt. The photos were right out of Indiana Jones (well, if Henry Jones Junior went on scuba). I'll try to find the website and post back, here.

michaelp68:

Michael

I've been to Greece, but not as a diver. As I understand things, the Government does not allow recreational diving of atiquties because it was too hard to police for theft. I thought that Turkey might allow it but my wife was upset with our welcome there last time and doesn't want to return. I didn't know if Italy might have some Roman ruins that are divable. I've heard that the old Roman port of Ceasarea in Israel is still visible, but I assume it's boring (mostly concrete). Egypt sounds like a possibility. They might have Phoenetian ruins as well.

I don't know whether these would be any use (sorry I can't hyperlink them, I'm not good enough with this new fangled abacus thing...)http://www.croatiadivers.com/en/diving.htm
http://www.epidaurum-diving-cavtat.hr/enlocations.htm

Spookily I was looking online at diving round Croatia and I recall seeing that there is a sunken town just offshore in the Adriatic. I think it was at the northern end of Croatia but can't find the link again, typically!

Wow this board is good. I can't hyperlink these things but it did it anyway.....cool this technology stuff, innit?

Thanks for the links. I'm not headed to Europe this year, but I'm going to have to put this in the future idea list.

WadeGuthrie:
I can't find my reference to it but I heard about diving in Alexandria Egypt. The photos were right out of Indiana Jones (well, if Henry Jones Junior went on scuba). I'll try to find the website and post back, here.

I dove the Eastern end of Alexandria, Egypt back in the mid nineties, shortly before they discovered the lighthouse/palace remains at Abu Quir as well as Napoleon's Fleet off the coast.

A small concrete hut served as the scuba "shop" and the service matched the ramshackled surroundings. Overall a very boring dive as the waters surrounding "Lovers Point" were almost completely devoid of fishlife (dragnet overfishing anyone?) and not an archeological remain to be seen.

Ironically, the work that brought me to Alexandria in the first place was located at the Naval Base on the Western side of the city, near the aforementioned Fort Abu Quir, and I remember thinking, "I wonder what's in the water around this area"? I was told that it was not permitted to dive in those waters since it was so close the the base. Not long after I left the country the multiple finds were discovered in waters not more than 100 feet away from the quay wall that I had been standing on. Stone tablets, complete mini-Sphinx, etc.

Dearman:
Hello,

I love history and reading about ancient archeological finds. I've visited some of the ancient world above ground sites and have loved every minute. Is there any known location you can dive without being part of a dig?
Off Bimini...

http://www.biminiundersea.com/atlantis.htm

ymmv,

Steve

Back
Top Bottom