Where to put all your accessories?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your knife can double as a tank banger.

Get wrist slate.

I use a large stainless steel nut (M12 is good), on a loop of bungee cord that has been threaded through the nut and tied with a reef (square) knot. a DIY diver's tank banger. The steel nut produces a better sound tone than plastic.

I keep it below the lowest cam band on the tank.

Sort of like this.

IMG_0691.JPG

A tank banger I need because... um.. not sure, why actually. especially if I have a knife I can use to bang on it in case I desperately need to get someone's attention.

Use tank bangers as little as possible, unless you want to make yourself very unpopular.

So I rent my gear since I'm basically a vacation diver.

As a "vacation diver" the gear I'd suggest for you is fins, booties, mask, dive computer. You really don't need all that other stuff. Also keep in mind that all that stuff you put in the pockets of a rental BCD you've got to remember to take out of the pockets. If you're anything like me, you'll forget something and then it's gone.

@Dan_T: Impressive. How do you carry all of these on you?

As a "vacation diver" the gear I'd suggest for you is fins, booties, mask, dive computer. You really don't need all that other stuff. Also keep in mind that all that stuff you put in the pockets of a rental BCD you've got to remember to take out of the pockets. If you're anything like me, you'll forget something and then it's gone.
Oh man.... you are absolutely right. I would forget aaaaallllll that stuff.

A tank banger I need because... um.. not sure, why actually.

... usually because it's the only way you can ever get your buddy to look toward you ... and even then it's not guaranteed.

But tank bangers are generally overused ... even (particularly in some cases) by dive guides and DM's. And they become increasingly annoying as the dive goes on, to the point where those around you begin to pointedly ignore looking in your direction ... which effectively defeats the point of having them.

Moral of the story ... if you're going to be banging on your tank with something, make sure you have a good reason to do so, and do it as minimally as possible ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

knife-- right calf.
light--main one clipped to D-Ring with another strap to it clipped higher up on another D-Ring so it's easy to grasp. Small backup in BC pocket.
--surface signaling device (sausage)-- D-Ring (I also use "Dive Alert" horn at times-- attached to LPI).
--tank banger--I actually bought one before I knew that with a thick hood even I couldn't hear my own. So I used it for a while as a strap for my small poke spear. So I guess around your thigh may work.
--slate--never used mine, but I would probably strap it to my wrist as it may fall out of a BC pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom