Where to put all your accessories?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A tank banger I need because... um.. not sure, why actually. especially if I have a knife I can use to bang on it in case I desperately need to get someone's attention.

When you say pocket shorts, do you mean that I should get a pair and wear them *over* my wetsuit? (please pardon my extreme nooobiness). Because I expect to be renting wetsuits for a bit more time.

You need to use the right tool for the job. For getting someone attention, I carry this: DiveAlert by Ideations

It doesn’t need to be put in BCD pocket. It’ll be sandwiched between the power inflator & LP hose. It quacks underwater.

Make sure to lock it when you are above water to avoid accidental loud blast alert. Just use it for emergency when you are on the surface & the dive boat far away & doesn’t see you.

528C5060-DC86-43ED-807A-C7038D47D3E0.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t like keeping anything in pockets. Probably why I’m going with a bp/w anyways lol. Only 9 dives into diving but so far the only thing I’ve had in the pockets of my bcd are:
Gloves (didn’t even use)
GoPro (just during surface swim)
My knife (forgot the strap at home)

I don’t like keeping anything in pockets. Probably why I’m going with a bp/w anyways lol. Only 9 dives into diving but so far the only thing I’ve had in the pockets of my bcd are:
Gloves (didn’t even use)
GoPro (just during surface swim)
My knife (forgot the strap at home)

As you progress as a diver you will find yourself carrying items that you may only need once in every hundred dives...but you will appreciate having when you DO need them. Things like trauma shears, wetnotes, finger spools, dsmb....all can go in a pocket so they don’t get snagged on something or lost.

Go to Bass Pro and get a pair of fishing cargo shorts a size too big. They are non-absorbent and dry quickly out of the water. Wear them over your wetsuit. The slash pockets won't help much, but the cargo pockets will hold everything you need. Velcro flaps, not buttons. Buttons are hard to fasten in the water. Some have grommets in the bottom of the pockets, even better.
Extra benefit-buddy, whether regular or insta, will be able to recognize you underwater easily

As you progress as a diver you will find yourself carrying items that you may only need once in every hundred dives...but you will appreciate having when you DO need them. Things like trauma shears, wetnotes, finger spools, dsmb....all can go in a pocket so they don’t get snagged on something or lost.

I don’t see much in my future needing to be put into a pocket. Only thing I can think of is a spare mask if I decide to carry one. I dive warm water nothing less than 65F in south Florida. No entanglement hazards besides reef structure (I won’t be getting into tech or wreck/cave diving) so I don’t see a problem.

But please it would be nice to know what you think would need to be in a pocket. Can help me/us learn

You don’t “need” a pocket to carry anything. It’s merely a preferred method by a large number of divers who have been there/done that.

@Nick Steele, I do pretty much all rec diving, no tech. I carry trauma sheers and line cutters due to all of the fishing in our area (which I’m sure you have in south FL, as well). I’ve been lucky, so far, and haven’t gotten tangled up in fishing line yet, but know many people who have. #1 reason to carry these items.
If you ever dive a high current area you will want a surface marker. May not need it all the time, but can come in handy.
I also carry a rolled up snorkel in my pocket.
Oh, and a spare key to my truck.

Erik

A tank banger I need because... um.. not sure, why actually. especially if I have a knife I can use to bang on it in case I desperately need to get someone's attention.

You don't need a tank banger, but you might want one, and that's perfectly okay.

But if you're primarily a vacation diver, I'd be leery of the knife-as-banger option. Vacation diving often involves a lot of divers in close proximity, and because your tank is mounted behind you, banging on it with the hilt of your knife basically means blindly waving around the pointy end.

Personally, I keep a stainless-steel double-end snap on my BC. It's useful if I need to clip something off, and it's a good enough tank banger if my wife won't turn around to see the mermaid.

Back
Top Bottom