Where to practice kayak diving drills - N-Illinois area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is not about practicing to dive, diving does not necessarily have to occur at all.
It's about (when it's a bit warmer...) practicing the part of kayak diving where you get your gear off the boat, put it on in the water, and then get it off, put it and yourself back on the boat and to figure out which way of stowing, which sequence etc. works best for you and to get good at it.
A shallower smaller lake ((warmer...) would be just fine. I know I can do that on Lake Michigan, but that's a bit of a haul, hazzle and, well, awfully cold and big to get started just practicing that...

I know places to go to practice falling out of the kayak and getting back in etc.. - however, there scuba diving is not allowed. Now, I would not necessarily diving but I would be all dressed in diving exposure gear, have a mask, snorkel... and all that dive gear would be there and I would be putting it on and off and it would look like I am diving (and I may fly the flag or not (pending on rules and because I do not need to increase the likelihood to be mistaken for actually diving). And I know the usual dive places in the area, but there they do not allow bringing a kayak (no issue ion Lake Michigan, but ... see above).

Any thoughts / suggestions as to where to go to practice that sort of thing w/o causing a recreational officer, police or other employee or warden a heart attack?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom