Where to ?Night snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boleslav

Registered
Reaction score
We will be in Bonaire right in the time to see the ostracods. As we are pretty experienced snorkelers (25+years), we would like to do the night snorkeling on our own.
Can you, please, recommend a good location for the night exploration?
We are staying in the north part of town.
Thank you.

Andrea I or II are both very good, Andrea I is a better entry. Ideally, leave a lantern or light at the rock marking the entry point. Do a snorkel there during the day so you're familiar with it first. Something Special is another, but the lights from town can interfere a little unless you swim a bit farther to the north, closer to where the mooring actually is. Have fun! The light show can be pretty cool!

We've had success at The Lake. Far enough from town to have a fairly dark sky.

I did the Ostracod dive last month with a guide. I couldn't imagine doing that dive unguided in the complete darkness, but snorkeling might be a different story.

We went to Margate Bay, which has a relatively easy entry/exit. We were the only ones there. I understand a couple other groups went to Weber's Joy as well. I can't speak to that, but it is in the north so it might be more accessible for you.

I did a night dive at Bachelor's Beach within the last week. The ostracod were mostly visible below 30' and optimal around 50', so not sure how those would be near surface, but I also wasn't expecting them or going on a night they were known to be great.

However, the tarpon would have been easy to feed/play-with from the surface, they happily followed my lights in 6' of water all the way to deep, eating anything they could. If you like that kind of thing.

Back
Top Bottom