Where to next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcm1911a1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all!
I am looking for destination recommendations for a November dive trip for 4 divers. Two of our party would prefer to not go to Bonaire (my wife and I are going in May) as they have done it enough and gearing up on the back of a truck is no longer all that easy for either of them. Cozumel is also out, again for done it enough (them-not me!). We've been to Roataan, Guanaja (going back in 2021), Belize, Little Cayman, Curacao, Bonaire and Cozumel.
Places on our radar would be the below but open to other locales.
Cuba
Tobago
Dominica
Grenada
La Paz
St. Maartens
St Croix

What do you want to see underwater? More of the same, or something else?

How much does the topside scene matter and what do you want to do there?

Sounds like you’ve mostly done warm, high viz., ‘tropical aquarium’ diving with pretty little (and some medium) fish and coral, and maybe the occasional green moray, tarpon, grouper, barracuda or sea turtle to mix it up a bit. The usual Caribbean fauna.

Tulum and Cenotes. you are never at the whim of mother nature and damn, they are just so amazing.

What do you want to see underwater? More of the same, or something else?

How much does the topside scene matter and what do you want to do there?

Sounds like you’ve mostly done warm, high viz., ‘tropical aquarium’ diving with pretty little (and some medium) fish and coral, and maybe the occasional green moray, tarpon, grouper, barracuda or sea turtle to mix it up a bit. The usual Caribbean fauna.

Yeah, warm water and great viz are where its at for us!
Would love to see some of the larger critters but certainly not tired of what we have seen. We plan on spending the days diving and as many night dives as we can work in. Topside is pretty much just relax perhaps poolside with an adult beverage or two (three or more??). None of us really into the party scene or shopping.

I've been to Speyside, Tobago. There's some mighty wicked currents there.

I love Grenada, diving with Aquanauts. Easiest to do is stay at True Blue Bay Resort but there are more beautiful settings at other resorts. And there's a lot to be said for the beauty of the beaches on Grenada. Actually, the whole island is stunning.

You say that you've been to Belize but have you stayed out at the Atolls?

You say that you've been to Belize but have you stayed out at the Atolls?
We stayed at SunBreeze in/near San Pedro. I guess that's on an atoll?? One of the party just returned from Belize last week. Not real impressed with the diving. "It was......okayish"

Have you done a live-aboard? Heavy diving, lounging around and for alcohol drinkers after-diving booze are kind of wrapped into one very pleasing package, if you aren't prone to motion sickness.

If you're considering St. Croix, here's a link to more info. I believe they've had a hurricane since, and N2TheBlue came under new ownership IIRC, but I suspect the overall scene is pretty much the same.

Dominica (as opposed to the Dominican Republic) has been on my radar for awhile, but the descriptions of the diving didn't offset my concern it sounded like it'd take a couple days to get to and again back from. Getting over a week off from work isn't always easy.

You're in Iowa and considering Cuba. I'm guessing you're aware there are some legalities involved. I get that people manage to get around such things in various ways, but be aware.

For La Paz, start here - See Trevor JC's guide at
Diving the Baja Sur Cabo San Lucas - San Jose Del Cabo - Cabo Pulmo- La Paz - La Ventana - Diving the Baja Sur Cabo San Lucas – San Jose Del Cabo – Cabo Pulmo – La Paz - La Ventana You can also do a Search of the forum for La Paz; that turned up a number of threads.

Have you looked at how long it'd take to get to Tobago? Is it an out-of-the-way place?

For that matter, are you guys pretty much limited to a week (up to 8 day) trip, and if so, have you liked at travel times to/from your destination list? That might narrow it down for you.

Have you done a live-aboard? Heavy diving, lounging around and for alcohol drinkers after-diving booze are kind of wrapped into one very pleasing package, if you aren't prone to motion sickness.

If you're considering St. Croix, here's a link to more info. I believe they've had a hurricane since, and N2TheBlue came under new ownership IIRC, but I suspect the overall scene is pretty much the same.

Dominica (as opposed to the Dominican Republic) has been on my radar for awhile, but the descriptions of the diving didn't offset my concern it sounded like it'd take a couple days to get to and again back from. Getting over a week off from work isn't always easy.

You're in Iowa and considering Cuba. I'm guessing you're aware there are some legalities involved. I get that people manage to get around such things in various ways, but be aware.

For La Paz, start here - See Trevor JC's guide at
Diving the Baja Sur Cabo San Lucas - San Jose Del Cabo - Cabo Pulmo- La Paz - La Ventana - Diving the Baja Sur Cabo San Lucas – San Jose Del Cabo – Cabo Pulmo – La Paz - La Ventana You can also do a Search of the forum for La Paz; that turned up a number of threads.

Have you looked at how long it'd take to get to Tobago? Is it an out-of-the-way place?

For that matter, are you guys pretty much limited to a week (up to 8 day) trip, and if so, have you liked at travel times to/from your destination list? That might narrow it down for you.
I would love to give a live-aboard a try but my wife gets motion sickness just reading in the car!

It may be St Croix as I too am a bit concerned with Dominica. One of our party had suggested Cuba and I realize there are some legalities involved so unless we can call in some favors, Cuba may be out already!

I've been to Speyside, Tobago. There's some mighty wicked currents there.

I love Grenada, diving with Aquanauts. Easiest to do is stay at True Blue Bay Resort but there are more beautiful settings at other resorts. And there's a lot to be said for the beauty of the beaches on Grenada. Actually, the whole island is stunning.
Note a fan of heavy currents either. Grenada sounds intriguing....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom