where to look at when buying a camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sonar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys, ladies,

I am looking to buy a camera in the price range of 200-350$. I want to use it on land but of course I want a casing as well (150$ top). I have been reading quite a bit on this forum but I noticed much info is old but more often too complicated for me.

I think (at the moment) that i want to buy a camera with a casing that has the possibility to add a strobe later.

Of course it's important that the camera has an underwater modus. Is there a specific for the underwater modus that I should look at? Like a digit or certain type of it? Are there any other specifics that are important (within my price range)

Is there some sort of standard line of products that is always good? Of course i would love to hear some really good models within my price range. Especcialy if you can tell why it's good

Thank you all in advance,

Rik

Hello,
Normally I have some idea of what I want going in, and how much I want to spend. One easy thing for me, is I always buy Canon cameras. Just a preference. I have owned many, and have never had any issues with them, and they take great pictures. For your price range, the S95 seems to be a popular model, although it is at the high end (Between $350-$400). Not sure what the housing for that costs. I just bought the G12 and you can get the housing for $180, so I cant imagine it being more than that, but I could be wrong.

I look at reviews on different websites that sell the cameras as well as try to find articles from professionals on what they like and what their opinion of a certain camera is. If you google a model number you can usually find all kinds of review articles.Thats what led me to the G12 recently.

And I have found this forum to have quite a bit of information on it as well.

Good luck in your search!

Thanks for your reply

I have been reading more and more about it. I think I will raise my budget a bit. i found some G11's on an ebay-like site. Average offers are around 260e. The new G12 costs 440e. Casing is indeed 180$

G11 seems to be pretty much the same model as the G12 (also same housing) Not much differences in the specs either..

Is there a reason not to take the G11? I see it's also possible to attach a strobe later.

When i held the G12 it feels like a really sold, strong camera. i really liked the feeling :)

From what I have read there isnt a huge difference between the G11 and G12. If you can get the G11 at a good price I would say go for it personally.

Also, when you buy the housing, if you look on Amazon for the one made by Canon, the housing itself you can find for about $180, but if you are willing to pay a few bucks mroe you can get the housing and some other accessories if you look around at the similar items on there.

Reactions: Jax
Hi from my perspective budget and how serious you want to be with your photography but the Sealife DC1200 is what I have started using and for the money spent you get reasonable photos, buying a less expensive camera allows some left over for a strobe option, hope this helps.

Your budget is not realistic even for a camera much less a camera plus housing and strobe. A strobe alone can run 600 dollars.

N

Back
Top Bottom