Where To Go???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_drum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are looking to do a quick getaway. I was thinking about Bimini (we live near Pensacola, so we don't want to fly far, we just want a 3 or 4 day weekend trip), but I'm not sure I want to get my dive gear stolen or "rolled". I read that in a couple of places about Bimini. Anybody have any suggestions? We are both experienced divers, don't want the training wheels dives, but really don't care - I just want clear water, lots of fish/sharks/rays, and really do not want a busy, busy, busy destination. Does anyone have a sweet place to run off for a weekend dive trip somewhere around south Florida or the Bahamas, or somewhere not too far?

I spent a long weekend in Freeport (Grand Bahama Island) last October, and dove with Unesco while I was there. A full service dive shop, I did two regular (boat) dives with them in the morning, then came back for a shark feeding dive in the afternoon.

The beaches there were gorgeous, and we saw dolphins come within . . .oh, fifty feet of the shore (everyone had their cameras out). And since Unesco feeds the sharks at "Shark Junction" (one of the local dive sites) several times a week, you're pretty much guaranteed to see 6'-8' reef sharks if you dive in the area (along with one very big, very aggressive grouper). Wasn't that impressed with the coral formations, but it was pretty easy to find stray shark teeth.

Got some beautiful photos (both above and below the surface), too. Alcohol was readily available, the people were friendly, and I saw NO sea urchins the entire time I was there. Didn't have a chance to sample the night life, but I got the impression there wasn't much. Oh, and I had no issues with anything getting stolen.

Thank you, started looking into Grand Bahama/Unexso this morning. That is right off Miami so a flight from here shouldn't take too long. Our diving around here is OK, but never really good viz. Thanks again!

Have you already explored SE FL and the upper Keys? You can fly into PBI and be very close to Boynton Beach, West Palm, the BHB and Jupiter or fly into Ft Lauderdale or Miami and drive down to Key Largo/Tavenier. Both would be good for a long weekend of diving

As this is posted in the "Bahamas" perhaps that is already your choice. Reposting in "Florida" would get you lots of other information, if not for this trip, maybe later

We are open to anything, even Florida diving. What kind of viz is down there scubadada? I think I'll post in the Florida section, great idea. We were thinking the close Bahamas but are open to just about anything that is clearwater diving.

I feel your pain - the visibility around here is terrible, pretty much year round. And you won't believe the kind of silt you can stir up - hit the bottom, and everything turns to chocolate milk.

In my experience, though, most of the Caribbean has great visibility. I dove Jamaica a couple of years ago, and at eighty feet, you could still make out the fine scratches on the bottom of the boat. The catch is, you have to dive somewhere that actually has stuff to see - a lot of places are getting overfished, or otherwise damaged.

Thank you, started looking into Grand Bahama/Unexso this morning. That is right off Miami so a flight from here shouldn't take too long. Our diving around here is OK, but never really good viz. Thanks again!
That's right, its Unexso (Underwater Explorers' Society). Sorry - I keep doing that, mixing it up with the UN group. Not sure why . . .

I've also heard very good things about Grand Bahama Scuba, which is only a couple of blocks away. I ultimately opted for Unexso because I wanted to do the shark feeding dive, but when I asked for recommendations, people couldn't praise them enough.

Edit: Oh, and if you decide to do the shark dive with Unexso, make sure you stretch before leaving the boat.

Hi scuba_drum,

The visibility in SE FL is not as stellar or as predictable as many Caribbean locations, but, it is generally good. I have about an equal number of dives in FL and the Caribbean. Especially on the reef in Boynton Beach, the number, size, and diversity of tropical fish rivals or exceeds many Caribbean locations. Sharks, turtles, and Goliath Grouper are predictably seen in Jupiter, there is a shark feeding operation, for those so inclined. The Blue Heron Bridge has a magnificent collection of unusual critters and macro subjects. If you want fantastic wall diving and unlimited visibility, this is probably not the place for you. I was simply offering up a close alternative for your consideration. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Have a great trip, good diving, Craig

Last edited:
Just go back from Freeport over the easter weekend. We picked it as it wasn't as touristy as Nassau. Meet some people that took the ferry over from Fort Lauderdale. I think our flight was 30minutes from Miami. I dove with Reef Oasis and Caribbean Divers. I had initially picked Caribbean Divers as we were staying at Bell Channel Inn. I ended up diving with Reef Oasis because Caribbean Divers wasn't going out one day.

I was just in the Bahamas 2 weeks ago. I went to Nassau and dove w Stuart Cove. All their guides are friendly and accommodating and they have a shuttle service. I did the multi-package and if you have Dan insurance and book thru their online reservation/Miami office reservation you'll get one free two tanks afternoon dives. I was in a different boat everyday w new crew. Their bottom times was 45 mins first dive guided and second dive was 60 mins w your buddy or guide and SI was 30-35 mins so watch your NDL. Nassau bus system are cheap, $1.25 one way just remember your bus #!
The following week, I went to Freeport. I dove w Grand Bahama Scuba and did their 4 days multi package. Their bottom time is 60 mins / 500 psi and SI was 50-60 mins, however they don't provide snacks or water. Also, they require you to do 5 mins safety stop, 2 mins at 30 ft and 3 mins at 15 ft. They want you to use the granny line to the bow and descend. You are allow to dive w your dive buddy and roam freely or stay w the guide that usually stay around 50-60 ft that takes pictures so it's a photographer dream. I felt like I was going on a merry go round w my guide and stayed in a 50-100 yards radius if my guide was Melinda, the stern shop owner.
On my last day, Melinda and Fred, shop owners, didn't go on the boat and Dom was our guide and Selena was the safety diver. Dom actually gave us a tour of the reef and we had a wonderful fun dive! Their boat rules are strict and their ladder and platform are a little different from what I'm accustomed to but all in all they do take less people than most dive shop in Freeport. The dive sites was decent: Shark Junction, Pgymy Caves, Gail's Grotto, The Chambers, Badger Wreck, Moray Manor, Laura and Free Beck Wrecks.
Freeport has many beautiful beaches and found couple local bars, Toad by the Bay and $2 Bar at William Town near where we were staying when we rented a bike from our resort for $5 a day. Our taxi driver, Hayward, and tour guide, Sheldon, became our friends. They brought us to a local events and bonfire party. Have a great and fun dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom