Where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

austindiver

Registered
Reaction score
OK....here is the question. Probably been asked and answered before but new ideas spring up all the time.

Where does a diver (me) take his non diving family?

My wife and my 11 year old daughter do not dive, barely snorkle, but both love the beach.

So far we have been to Key West, FL, USA and Isla Mujeres, Q. Roo, MX.

I prefer fish to coral and would love to get in a couple of wrecks.

Budget minded is always appreciated but value is value.

Thanks,

C

how about Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

Well does the NC in RICHinNC give it away????
How about Wilmington or anywhere on the NC coast line. Lots of history...lots of things for non divers to do....wreck capital of the east coast for divers...(try Aquatics Safaris...they have a website)

NC is pretty cool....the state that is....heck the guy too!!

Wendy,

We actually flew into Ft. Lauderdale and took "the drive" through The Keys. We want to go back but I am not familiar with the diving scene in Lauderdale. Can you elaborate on why "YOU" feel it is a great dive destination? I would love to hear from someone there all the time as they tend to know some of the not quite so visited areas. We already saw lots of great attractions for surface time.

RICHinNC,

Wrecks galore as I understand. A co-worker just went that way specifically because of the history and has come back with some great information. What time of year is best for diving there? Best Vis? Water temps? Etc. What about local festival? We were lucky enough to be in Mexico this year for the Island's anniversary. Lots of extra stuff to do and lots of culture.

THANKS to you both for responding.

C

How about Freeport, Bahamma? Not the greatest diving but it's not bad, some fairly good snorkling and lots of beaches. It's not usually too expensive to get there. I have some info on a condo there for around $650 a week (seems like, can look it up if you like). There is a fair amount of shopping for the ladies.

There is a lot of history around the Wilmington area. Lots of shopping and the beaches are nice. The diving is great BUT it can be demanding. Long boat rides in sometime no so smooth seas. You have not dove unitl you have done a Carolina Ladder Ride!! The best times are June- early Aug (or if you can miss the hurricanes Oct is my favorite). The water temps are in the mid-high 80's that time of year. Vis varies from location to location and day to day but 50-75 ft is prob average with 100+ quite possible. There are loads of fish on our wrecks, including lots of tropicals, something most people don't expect. Also, large sand tiger sharks are common.

I think if your wife will let you make two dives a day, you'd enjoy Provo. Turks and Caicos has some great diving, great fish life. Dive with Fifi. The beach on Provo is awesome. Maybe the Sands would be a good place to stay. It's probably not a super cheap trip, but it will be some really,really great diving! :D

Caymaniac

austindiver once bubbled...
Wendy,

We actually flew into Ft. Lauderdale and took "the drive" through The Keys. We want to go back but I am not familiar with the diving scene in Lauderdale. Can you elaborate on why "YOU" feel it is a great dive destination? I would love to hear from someone there all the time as they tend to know some of the not quite so visited areas. We already saw lots of great attractions for surface time.

C

There are several wrecks in the Ft. Lauderdale area, somce nice reefs too. Also there is some shore diving. Here is the op I use while there.

http://www.parrotislandscuba.com/

Also some friends of mine you the baot they have out of Brownie's Southport (the local Halcyon dealer).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom