Where to go...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tombiowami

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, here is the scenario...

I have been certified for a year, along with my wife. We are considering a scuba trip to a warm water reef area. We live in North Carolina, and would like to spend at least 3-4 days diving if not more.

Money is a huge consideration, about $2000 is all we can spend, and that is food, lodging, diving, travel, etc.

We have not been on a dive trip before at all.

The only one I have seriously looked at was Largo, we could drive in one long day, and with about 5 days of diving one two tank boat dive, spend about 1500-2000.

The driving option is nice, as flying can be a pain.

I have all my gear, my wife would need to rent bc/regs daily. It is possible we could borrow some of this gear from friends to offset the cost.

One major drawback to Largo is lack of shore diving, which it seems most of the packages to Cayman, Bonaire, etc. have unlimited shore diving, which really appeals to me.

Any ideas/input?

Tommy

First let me say I envy you. I just got back from Morehead City and it was the most wonderful experience I have had in diving. You HAVE to dive those wrecks. I went with Olympus diving and they were great. It's all in your backyard!!!-sand tigers, barracuda-you got it all.

You have described Bonaire to a "T" in your post. My wife had not dove for 15 years and the diving in Bonaire is sssooo easy - right from shore, no current. Rent a truck and unlimited tanks for the week. Dive when and where you want. The reefs are just swimming distance from shore.

Water temp: 81F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's livin.

Thanks, I am starting on the wrecks in the next weekend or so, but my wife is not interested in them that much. Is Bonaire expensive when you get there?

Tommy

The resaraunts(can't spell that one) are expenisve. The diving is probably cheaper than Cozumel-which is one of the cheapest in the world. I think my wife and I paid $400.00 for a truck and unlimted tanks for the week. Per dive it becomes very cheap.

My wife was interested in the wrecks but not at 6:00AM.

The wrecks are just artificial reefs-there are so many fish on them.

Again, there is no better place to dive-especially for a newbie-than Bonaire. Every day the weather is perfect, no current, dive from shore. It costs us $1800.00 a peice for flight and hotel.

The only drawback to Bonaire is it's expensive to get to.

Maybe you should try Cozumel?? You can get some really good deals to Cozumel. There is current in Cozumel and that can throw new divers for a loop. But Cozumel is beautiful.

My friend and I are going on a Blackbeard Cruise for our first dive. Check it out on the web. You can do a long weekend for just over $500.00 and 6 nights for $787. You will have to get to Miami. Good luck, we are in the same situation and the cruise looks like alot of fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom