Where to go with RabbitTool gone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Spele0

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have a Sierra batt pack I need to have rebuilt. I've checked with Explorer Technology and they only will deal with Li packs. I don't want to spend that kind money on an old sierra. Any thought out there?

Terry

I've considered it but I don't have easy access to the machining I'd need to make a new pack and to use the existing package I'd need access to a spot welder. I'd rather by a new pack, a new (used) scooter, or pay to have mine rebuilt.

Nevermind, I see that you don't want to spend the money on a Lithium battery.

I have a Sierra batt pack I need to have rebuilt. I've checked with Explorer Technology and they only will deal with Li packs. I don't want to spend that kind money on an old sierra. Any thought out there?

Terry
As a side note, the NiMh packs from Rabbit Tool were over $800. There isn't a cheap option.

have you considered the PTB upgrade?
This is $1000 too if you buy the PTB adapter from Dive-X. I think the adapter is $500 and a pair of 12aH Dewalt batteries is $400.

This is $1000 too if you buy the PTB adapter from Dive-X. I think the adapter is $500 and a pair of 12aH Dewalt batteries is $400.

it is, but it guarantees longevity with the scooter and is cheaper in the long run. Sure it only gives you a Cuda 400 *probably closer to the 500 realistically*, but there hasn't been a 650wh option for a very long time since the cells were discontinued many years ago.

30x F cells to build your own NiMH packs are going to cost close to $600, so the DeWalt packs per wh are actually cheaper and the cost of the PTB itself pays for itself on the second set of batteries, even ignoring the convenience of having those batteries if one kicks the bucket.

I think the PTB option ok but you still have to add $350 for the controller. With that investment, buying a Blacktip make more sense. What I'd really like to see is an inexpensive used unit, maybe from someone who did an upgrade to LiPo and has a perfectly good batt pak just taking up dust. (like any of that is going to happen.)

Back
Top Bottom