Where to go? (Maldives, Sri Lanka, Thailand)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cnhoff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

my girlfriend and i will be on a 3 months holiday in India starting March 17th and as diving in India is not so exciting, we plan to take a 1 week trip to either the maldives, thailand or sri lanka for diving only.

So what would you recommend, because from what i have read, opinions are rather controversial...

We both are beginner's (both CMAS * with about 12 dives) and would like to stay more on the budget side of things, although we would pay the money, if maldives where really thaaat good.

Some say coral bleaching is very bad on maldives, other say you only see 5-10m in thailand etc., so i am very unsure of what to do!

What are your experiences?

dear sir,
i was diving in the maldives last oct, and it was some of the best i've ever done.
haven't been to the other places so i can't reply.

What atoll have you been on?

dear sir,
the atoll was hoovadoo.
it is the 2nd largest atoll in the world.
it is far to the south almost on the equator.
stayed on a liveaboard.
http://www.sultansoftheseas.it/en/infoSMadivaru.php
check her out.
this was my first dive trip in the indian ocean and i was amazed at all the coral and sea life that i had never seen.

the maldives is not budget diving but as with everything you get what you pay for. Thailand is very cheap definetly the cheapest place to do courses but most of the island diving is crowded a lot of divers in the water wich scare off a lot of pelagics. If you are only new to diving thailand is not bad mostly very little current good viz shallow easy dives.

It really depends what you want. I consider the diving in the Maldives the best of the mentioned desitinations, but it is quite expensive. Also: you are on an island, with nowhere to go and nothing to do except go to the restaurant and bar of the resort. Up to you if you like this yes or no.
Sri Lanka is nice for diving, and close to India. I personally am not too fond of the island, just a feeling, don't know why.
Thailand has 2 dive areas, the Andaman Coast and the Gulf of Thailand. I consider the Andaman Coast much better, especially the Similans and Hin Daeng, also the general Phuket-Phi Phi area. Phuket has more entertainment and more diversity on land than Maldives, but the diving in Maldives is better but more expensive.
So it really depends on what you would like from your vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom