Where to go in Sept / Oct / Nov?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krazyklaws

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I'm thinking of a trip to Indonesia some time between September to November this year, and it's such a vast area that I'm not entirely sure where to start!

Are there any tips for the areas to go (or to avoid!) during this season.

I have no strong feelings on what I'd like to see - I'm as fond of big stuff as I am of critter hunts, so ideally a mix of both would be good. I do particularly love sea horses, so a chance to see those would be the icing on the cake.

Two centre would be a definite option, as would a week's liveaboard and then a weeks stay. I'm on quite a tight budget though and flights from the UK are not cheap! I don't want luxury - just (perferably hot) running water and clean sheets.

My partner and I have 150ish dives each and qualified to PADI RD (and planning our deep certs in Egypt this spring).

I'm thinking Bali or Manado - but open to suggestions. Anyone have any bright ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Karen.

Hi KrazyKlaws,
For your first time to Indonesia, you may want to start in North Sulawesi, with a combo trip to Bangka/Gangga or Bunaken and Lembeh. The critters in Lembeh are amazing! There are many places you can stay in Lembeh, depending on your budget, same with Bangka/Gangga or Bunaken, lots of different resorts to choose from.
There are easy flights from Singapore to Manado every Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat, and from July-Oct this year, Silk Air will be adding a flight on Tues.
Sept-Oct-Nov Lembeh is known for blue ringed octopus season, with mating, fighting, blue rings with eggs, etc, it's pretty amazing!
You can also get to Raja from Manado, flights to Sorong are 5-6 days a week, and liveaboards in Raja range in price as well. So you could start a one week stay in Lembeh, then fly over to Raja.
Just some suggestions for you, from an instructor who has been living in Indonesia for 4 1/2 years, and loving it! Hope it's helpful!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom