Where to go in Pacific for macro/muck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

humuhumu_

Registered
Reaction score
I will be in Auckland, New Zealand for about a month this Nov/Dec. I am looking for an extra destination that has flights from NZ and is at least somewhat affordable to a graduate student (so, PNG is out of the running). I am specifically interested in macro/muck although I am not averse to pretty reefs. Have previously done muck diving in Bali and Southern California. I will also go to Poor Knights within NZ on this trip, but am looking for a side trip for about 5-7 days.

Where to go? A lot of threads about Fiji describe drift dives. Is there any macro in Fiji?

Thanks!

Fly up to Manila and dive Anilao - Philippine Airlines has a direct flight from AKL and the resorts in Anilao offer transfers from the airport. There's some affordable options there, and the macro life is amazing :)

There is macro in Fiji, but it's not common and not really noteworthy. If macro is your specific interest, you'd be better off flying to Indo or Philippines.

if you like wrecks the mikahail lermontov is world class (in picton)

I will be in Auckland, New Zealand for about a month this Nov/Dec. I am looking for an extra destination that has flights from NZ and is at least somewhat affordable to a graduate student (so, PNG is out of the running). I am specifically interested in macro/muck although I am not averse to pretty reefs. Have previously done muck diving in Bali and Southern California. I will also go to Poor Knights within NZ on this trip, but am looking for a side trip for about 5-7 days.

Where to go? A lot of threads about Fiji describe drift dives. Is there any macro in Fiji?

Thanks!

All Star Philippines

December 1-8 $200 OFF with cabins starting from $1730. During this itinerary we depart Anilao and will dive Apo Reef, Puerto Galera and Verde Island. This itinerary offers magnificent macro, muck diving, sloping walls and more.

Includes: accommodations, meals, beverages, tanks & weight belts, local ground transfers and free nitrox.

Contact kevin@allstarliveaboards.com with any questions you may have or to reserve a space on this trip.

Dive Trips Aboard All Star Philippines

Neither Lembeh or Ambon are easy to get to from Auckland. Anialo is both quicker and easier to get to, and significantly cheaper - both of which were noted by the OP as constraining factors.

Anilao.
Flight by PAL from AKL to MNL arrives in the morning(06:00), plenty of time to travel down by public transport. Private transfer will set you back US$80.00 each way.

The only issue is the general diving cost if you are alone. Plenty of posts on this topic. Puerto Galera is across the other side of the channel.

However, with only 5-7 days to spare why don't you just explore the other diving areas in NZ? The fare from AKL to MNL alone will cost US$800.00.
What is the chance of seeing Weedy Sea dragon in SYD over that period?

What is the chance of seeing Weedy Sea dragon in SYD over that period?

I was half jokingly going to suggest this, but yeah, Sydney, and Nelson Bay (3 hours north) have some pretty good macro spots and yes, pretty reliable weedies.

Macro in Sydney is amazing, common sea dragons almost guaranteed, lots of other stuff as well, including species like Bare Island anglerfish and Sydney pygmy pipehorses which are only found in southern Sydney area.

Back
Top Bottom