Where to go for Macro in Bali ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cavemanxxx

Reaction score
I would like to do some good macro photography in Bali. Can you advise on the best places. As I will be going with non-divers, it cannot be live aboard. Expect to stay about a week and do about 20 dives

Tulamben has the best UW photograpy in Bali by far, short of a liveaboard. Mimpi Resort is probably the best place to stay. It's nice, spread out, and caters nicely to divers/non-divers. Be forewarned, there's no nightlife whatsoever.

Yes, I'd agree with the above poster. You've got the wreck there which is supposed to be amazing at night. I did it in the day and it was pretty cool. There's also a great wall dive on the other side of the bay. But for macro, sandwiched in between those other dives is the muddy bottomed middle which will be what you're looking for. Lots of beautiful small critters on a background of dark volcanic sand.

Tulamben got hit with an extra hard runoff from last fall's rainy season and although it is nice, I still prefer Paidang Bai East for Macro. There are quite a few subjects to shoot like large Mantis Shrimps, and Crocodile Fish which have cool eyes that you can get within inches of to photograph.
But if you are going on a vacation trip of 20 dives you could easily dive both Tulamben and Paidang Bai, probably Amed and Menjengan Island too.

On a side note, I just got my photos back from my Bali/Sulawesi trip a week ago, scanned then and put them on NikonNet:
*Click Here* to see 44 Underwater Photos

I was on a dive safari last month to Bali. In talking to a local underwater photographer at Menjangan Island, he told me that Secret Bay was the best place for Macro photography in Bali. It is off the northwestern tip of Bali, not far from Menjangan Island. Here is a link which briefly describes the site. Unfortunately I never made it there.

Secret Bay

I agree with RSDiver's comment about Tulamben. It was my second trip there in about three years and this time it seemed like everything had a thin covering of powdery grey volcanic ash/sediment which had settled on the wreck and surrounding areas, presumably runoff from the nearby volcano. The diving and marine life was still great though.

RSdiver once bubbled...
On a side note, I just got my photos back from my Bali/Sulawesi trip a week ago, scanned then and put them on NikonNet[/URL]

Wow! Those are great shots. It'd be a little too close for comfort for me with that Banded Sea Snake photo.

Hi, I'd agree that Tulamben is an excellent site for macro. I did 8 dives on the wreck there and still didn't want to leave! But....Secret Bay was even better. If you do go there, be careful. It is a boat harbour and the diving is relatively shallow. You can get so enamoured looking at the creatures, you might forget to pay attention to what's above.

My husband and I are heading back to Bali (one of our favorite destinations) in September and hope to make it to Secret Bay again.

Cheers,
Stef

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom