Where to go during Japanese Golden Week (April 27-May 7) - liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dreifish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey guys,

I'm currently living in Japan, and dying to get wet again. My company shuts down between April 27th and May 7th, and I was hoping to get some suggestions on a world class destination to go to (in Asia or Pacific Islands probably).

About me: AOW + Nitrox, ~90 dives, been to: Philippines (Bohol, Malapascua), Indonesia (Lembeh, Raja Ampat), Malaysia (Redang), Japan (Okinawa) and Northern California. I'm fairly comfortable in the water but haven't experienced mask-ripping current or washing-machine type currents before so a little apprehensive about that. I'm also afraid of heights, so walls + blue water diving all the time isn't ideal, though if there's a few dives like that here and there mixed with other types

What I'm looking for: healthy soft corals, iinteresting (impressive?) topography, large schools of fish, pelagics, wide-angle opportunities, and, to a lesser extent, interesting critters. Loved Raja Ampat (though a few more sharks or large critters would've been nice). Loved the soft coral at Balicasag and the cave swim through (and sharks) at Gato Island in Malapascua. Wasn't a huge fan of Lembeh (mostly because the water felt dirty and lacked anything wide angle -- the critters were interesting.) California was great -- loved the seals and the kelp forests, but didn't love the 13C water temperature or diving in a 7mm farmer john wetsuit.

Looking to do 3+ dives a day, so either a liveaboard or a land-based resort that offers 3-4 + night dive and is within range of sufficient variety to keep me interested. If liveaboard, 10 days would be ideal length, but I can take a few vacation days before April 27 or after May 7 to accomodate a 12 day liveaboard. Would also consider a 7 day liveaboard + resort type of scenario.

So, with all that in mind, what destinations in the region would offer world-class diving and are in season around the end of April/beginning of May? I have some flexibility on price, though cheaper is nicer, of course. Would especially love to hear what everyone thinks of the Maldives, Komodo, Tubattaha and Palau as potential destinations given my preferences? Is Fiji and French Polonesia worth looking into? Australia? PNG? If you've been to one or more of the above and can definitely recommend one destination over the other, please do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom